No Touch Soap Dispenser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Do any of you have the "No Touch Soap Dispenser?" I have one in the kitchen and one in the bathroom along with a roll of paper towels. I just finished preparing all my meats for the freezer with my food saver. Called for a lot of hand washing. Touch the meat, wash the hands. Touch the FS, seal the meat, wash the hands. Then when I was all through, I have a canister of hospital strength antiseptic wipes. Everything got wiped down again. I also had hospital rubber gloves on to do the clean up. But I would have been lost with out the soap dispenser.

After my bout with the Norovirus, I am not taking any chances. I had the no hands dispenser long before the virus hit me. I also got the antibacterial soap for it. I don't think even a minute cold germ would dare to come in here. No, I am not fanatical about keeping everything clean. Just when I am handling raw meat. And in the bathroom. I am too old to risk catching something now.

I love the No Hands Soap Dispenser. And besides, even visitors are fascinated with it and are more willing to wash their hand just for the chance to play with it. Mine ding dongs when it dispenses. :)

I didn't think that they were necessary until a friend bought one and told me how helpful they were in the kitchen, and then a light bulb went on in my head!

I still don't have one, but I will be getting one for the kitchen. Right now I have just a foam pump from Bath and Body Works that I have been refilling with dish soap and water.

When I am vacuum sealing chicken, I fill the sink with soap and some bleach. I wipe everything down with the bleachy (not too strong) water when I am done, then wipe down the bags before they go in the freezer. I use the disposable dish cloths for this and just toss it when I'm done.

For the one in the bathroom, if I don't hear that ding dong, I make it a point not to shake hands when someone is leaving. With the dispenser and the paper towels, I know they aren't bringing anything out of the bathroom with them. :)

You may have heard this before, but it's worth repeating for those who are reading.

Antibacterial products should not be used in the home - period. They contain what are essentially topical antibiotic medications. These are very different from non-medicinal substances that kill bacteria by other means. Antibacterials depend upon an organism's sensitivity to that medication. Since within a species, individuals will be more or less sensitive, some that are naturally resistant to it will survive. And having survived, they now have the niche entirely to themselves, and they will repopulate it with offspring that share their resistance.

The problem is made worse by the situation today in which bacteria resistant to the most common medications, including the common antibacterials in soaps, have proliferated because of the indiscriminate use of antibiotics and anti-bacterial cleaning products. In effect, use of such products creates a breeding laboratory for resistant bacteria, particularly bacteria that the particular anti-bacterial product can no long kill effectively.

Non-medicinal germ-killers do not have the effect of breeding resistant bacteria. These germ-killers include mild bleach and vinegar solutions. There are others, but everyone has these at hand. They are toxic to bacteria and kill them on short exposure. And they kill without regard to resistance to antibacterials. And hand soap effectively washes bacteria from hands, again, all bacteria.

Using antibacterial products produces just worsens the situation. Yes, antibacterial soap washes the bulk of the bacteria away, but it also kills by medicinal action, and those that it doesn't wash away are increasingly resistant. And they do NOT effect viruses, being to a virus exactly like a common soap.

Studies of the effectiveness of various cleaning methods at inactivating viruses show that antibacterial and non-antibacterial wipes do NOT inactivate viruses effectively, while mild beach, vinegar, and soap solutions completely inactivate viruses.

The no-touch soap dispenser is an obvious winner, as opposed to accumulating whatever you want rid of on the pump knob each time. But loading it with antibacterial soap contributes to increasing the exactly the hazard you want to avoid and to a serious problem in the world. And this does not address the environmental issues of their manufacture and impact of their presence in waste water. Not everyone cares about the general environment, but they ought to care about their home environment.

I know that the anti soaps do not kill viruses. But at least I know they went down the drain and didn't stay in my home or on my hands. :ermm:

That's true. It's back to the fact that more lives were saved by doctors and nurses simply washing their hands than any other medical advance.

The action of washing hands with soap actually does more than the anti-bacterial agent does. You would likely have to keep the soap on your hands for several minutes for the anti-bacterial agent to really work. I don't bother with anti-bacterial soaps, I just lather up my hands well and rinse. My kitchen soap is dilluted dish soap in a foamer, and the other bathrooms are dilluted body wash in foamers.

The action of washing hands with soap actually does more than the anti-bacterial agent does. You would likely have to keep the soap on your hands for several minutes for the anti-bacterial agent to really work. I don't bother with anti-bacterial soaps, I just lather up my hands well and rinse. My kitchen soap is dilluted dish soap in a foamer, and the other bathrooms are dilluted body wash in foamers.
Absolutely. Washing hands properly is much more effective, but most people wash their hands as though they were wearing mittens.

GLC: great post.

I was in the elevator when visiting my FIL at the hospital. I was saying to my MIL that I refuse to use hand sanitizer. I refuse to be part of the hospital's super microbe breeding program. I will happily wash my hands with ordinary soap if anyone wants me to.

The doctor who was in the elevator with us said, "Bravo. I completely agree with you."

I will have a look to see if I can find one of those no-touch dispensers to fill with dishwashing liquid. I used to put that in the pump soap dispensers.

Absolutely. Washing hands properly is much more effective, but most people wash their hands as though they were wearing mittens.

GLC: great post.

I refuse to be part of the hospital's super microbe breeding program. I will happily wash my hands with ordinary soap if anyone wants me to.

The doctor who was in the elevator with us said, "Bravo. I completely agree with you."

I completely agree! I am a R.N. by education and a cook by choice, both require major hand washing...by that I mean soap and water! No hand sanitizers allowed!:)

Unfortunately, most of the hospital rooms I have been in lately have had the hand washing sinks removed. :huh:

RN, too! Don't use anti-bacterials! Makes my job harder fighting infections in patients that have resistance. Soap and water only, needed.

A packet of plain baby wipes in your purse or bag for wiping things off when you are out of the house, if you feel the need.

Unfortunately, most of the hospital rooms I have been in lately have had the hand washing sinks removed. :huh:

Well, that's not good. So you can't see that they wash after dealing with you, so you don't know if it's likely they washed after the last patient. Economics, probably. The same economics mean they sure aren't putting a sink outside every patient room door, either. Too bad. Seems to me staff compliance has never been all that good when it was studied, almost always below 50%, while 90% agreed with the statement that handwashing was important and more than 60% thought they washed their hands about as much as their staff peers. What they really are saying is that they know they should and intend to do it, but when observed, they just don't do it very consistently.

I suspect that it's not too different from what you'd find if you studies home cooks. They'd generally be able to tell you the rules, and they they would tell you they follow them. But I'll bet most of us don't really follow them very well.

I saw, on the news, a while ago that a study showed that, of all hospital staff, doctors were the worst about not washing hands. They issued hand sanitizer, in small containers to put in their pockets, to the doctors. They were much better at using that and it made the patients feel better about the levels of sanitation, when they could see the doctors using the hand sanitizer. :wacko:

Hand Sanitizer is a gelled alcohol product, not anti-biotic, but anti-bacterial. It has boosted compliance with hand sanitation.

Hand sanitation is good, but it does not beat washing your hands regularly. I use the sanitizer in between doing different tasks with the same patient. Hand washing is done when I enter the room and leave the room. When I leave the floor and head to my office I wash my hands, again. When I leave the office to hit the floor, once again, I wash my hands.

Trust me, if I scratch my nose, I want to make sure my hands are clean, before and after.

Last edited:
We are taught the proper procedure to wash hands in the nursing home but I can surely say that not everyone follows that rule. I would rather them use hand sanitizer then nothing at all if they are going to bypass it :(

Anywho, yes Addie I have a Lysol hand dispenser in my kitchen and bathroom. I love them but mine doesnt dingdong. :glare:

Alcohol wipes were found to be about as effective as plain soap at dealing with bacteria. Not all bacteria, of course. In a notorious recall a while back, alcohol wipes were contaminated with a nasty bacteria, and deaths resulted.

Alcohol based hand sanitizers are very good, with the same proviso that not all bacteria are affected.

And alcohol doesn't inactivate all viruses, but it is pretty effective against most of the viruses you worry about outside a medical facility.

RN, too! Don't use anti-bacterials! Makes my job harder fighting infections in patients that have resistance. Soap and water only, needed.

A packet of plain baby wipes in your purse or bag for wiping things off when you are out of the house, if you feel the need.

AMEN!;)

Hand Sanitizer is a gelled alcohol product, not anti-biotic, but anti-bacterial. It has boosted compliance with hand sanitation.

Hand sanitation is good, but it does not beat washing your hands regularly. I use the sanitizer in between doing different tasks with the same patient. Hand washing is done when I enter the room and leave the room. When I leave the floor and head to my office I wash my hands, again. When I leave the office to hit the floor, once again, I wash my hands.

Trust me, if I scratch my nose, I want to make sure my hands are clean, before and after.

Could we have a nickel for every time we wash our hands!!!!!! Would be enough $ to eradicate all germs! LOL!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom