"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-20-2008, 12:06 PM   #31
Head Chef

Here's a piece of roach trivia to impress people at your next cocktail party: a roach can live for nine days without it's head. Thier brains are closer to their rear ends.

Hey, come to think of it, I know some people who would be able to survive for nine days......

Old 11-20-2008, 12:41 PM   #32
Master Chef

I was just going to say that I know some people whose brains are closer to their derriers.......not moi..however.......:):)

Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
anyone ever see the movie "joe's apartment"?

Joe's Apartment (1996)
yeah, I did..........creepy crawlies 101
Old 11-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #34
Head Chef

I guess I would rather have roaches than raccoons, too. Raccoons kill my chickens, and worse than that, they half kill them, and then I have to finish the job. Coons also carry rabies, and roundworms, which burrow their way thru human bodies, ending up encysted in in the eye or the brain.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Raccoons kill your chickens and only half way? How horrible! Like some kind of horror movie. I feel sorry for you when you have to finish the job. Now I don't think they are so cute. What is the idea that they don't finish the job? Oh, I won't forget this. I agree with you, I'll stick with the cockroaches. Unless they are known to eat things only half way. Thanks for letting me know about this. When I see them as roadkill I won't feel so bad. Maybe someone saved a chicken!

never stop learning something new.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #36
Head Chef

I had a raccoon in the chicken house that killed 5 or 6 chickens one night, and badly injured a couple more--those are the ones I had to finish off. Not what you want to be doing first thing in the morning.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #37
Master Chef

I had no idea......but they are meat eaters so it stands to reason.......my cats' food is chicken based and the cats are smart enough to take off when they have visitors for dinner......I'm glad but I do make sure that they are up on their rabies shots......you're right I'll take the smart, industrial-strength cockroach anyday.......by the way for those of you who enjoy funny books there was one (maybe out of print by now) entitled "Nobody Loves a Cockroach" ---absolutely hilarious.......nonfiction and about different facts about insects and wee beasties that we share this planet with........the funniest to me was the fact that spiders can get stomach aches and will stagger to the edge of their webs and toss their cookies......I know.......stop partying.............
Old 11-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #38
Cook

When I lived in town we had a few visits from a momma coon and 5 babies but we had a big problem with skunks visiting at night during the summer when the windows were open. The neighbors dogs would bark at the skunks and they would express their feelings while running through our yard.

I will take a coon or roach any time over a skunk.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
just don't move to Houston, TX.......we grow everything big here...........there's a reason the cowboys wear boots......my mother used to send us to the basement with hammers......will share some of my Texas A&M college education with you........you know how roaches can creep and remain close to walls and then disappear? they flatten themselves out......well watch next time then and stop screaming........they can't hear you anyway.........it's called thigmoidtropism.......look it up.........if I had to learn it so can you............this is how they've survived 10 bizzillion years.......
OMG I lived in H-Town they do grow some BIG roaches down there.... and they FLY... FLY...... so your an Agiie EX-Pat?.... im an Owl!

The OP cracked me up I can just imagine my parents... my mom is a immacualte old world bleach the house daily clean freak.... she makes policy to avoid he childrens homes at all costs.... never would even come in the door of a college dorm.... She's getting my dogs this weekend and has been on a military mission to protect her house..... They would totally blame roaches on me if I moved in...

Here in the hood of North Philly the roaches pretty much run things... they are everywhere outside at night... I have been pretty effective about keeping them out of my house but when I bought it WOW..... I cant even describe some of the things I found when I tore down walls ICK.... just imagine a shower leaking into a 130 year old wall next to a kitchen... ROACH PARADISE! Shower and wall both now gone!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #40
Master Chef

Hi, Panchohambre..........
Oh, yeah, they sure can fly and land on you as well......yech factor and order the uhaul, Gladys..........yep, I'm an Aggie.......wanted my daughter to become an Owl, too, but she became a "Sage Hen" at Pomona College, in CA ............. I was "forced" to take an entomology course while at A&M and surprisingly it ended up being one of my favorite classes..........I can just imagine what wee beasties you found behind your walls............my mother who was from Philly HATED bugs...........