"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-19-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Head Chef

Oh, gag - cockroaches!

My son (25) is a pig--a sweet boy, but a total and utter slob. He recently moved from his apartment here to Pennsylvania, and during the transition, spent a couple nights at my house.

HE BROUGHT ME COCKROACHES--hurl, hurl, hurl. I have only seen 5 total, I think, but I am really freaked out.

I am as organic as possible, and I hate to spray pesticides around. I put out some of those roach traps in the bathrooms, the room he stayed in and in the kitchen, and have only seen one since doing that--in the (dirty) dishwasher.

Any tips on dealing with this? I know you used to be able to buy boric acid tabs that were relatively non-toxic, but I might have to go to the big guns if I see another one.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
What a nice boy! lol... the only think I know about roaches is that they like to lay eggs in cardboard so if you have any laying around..GET RID OF IT!!!...

Good luck!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Head Chef

Years ago I ran a Moving & Storage business and cockroaches were a big problem, especially when you consider that 3-4 households or more can be on one van going across country. Who wants to inherit bugs in their new home?!

My crews have actually refused to load a household when they discover serious infestations, but usually it is too late to stop, so what is one to do?

My drivers drove their trucks out into the Mojave desert and dropped the trailer and left it for a couple days in the broiling heat. Hopefully no cats or birds inside the trailer because anything alive was cooked.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Head Chef

I am not a clean freak but my house is clean and neat, not clutter. My kitchen, however, is immaculate because this is where I prepare the food I eat. I never have food on the floor or the counter after a meal and I NEVER leave dirty pots or pans in my sink after a meal.

So having said that, I found cockroaches crawling out of my bathroom sink drain on 3 different occasions and one was staring at me when I turned on the light in my bedroom. ( Try and sleep after that.) The point being that just because you're son's a slob, doesn't mean he's the one who brought the roaches into your house. Roaches and rats are everywhere. Just keep food off of your floor and counters so they have no reason to stay there. The "Roach Motel" works wonders.

The scary part is that roaches are nocturnal. They only come out at night and skitter away at the first vibration from your footsteps. So you many have had roaches for a long time, just never saw them before. I only saw mine at night as I flipped on the lightswitch. EWWWWWWW.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #5
Head Chef

My husband and I owned several apartments and we once replaced a refridge in one and brought the old one back to our garage before disposing of it. Thank goodness the garage is not connect to the house as it was loaded with the creatures He read that you take a jar - stick a chunk of bannana in the bottom and then line the top ridge with bacon grease and they climb in and can't get out. well we did it and it worked, we had a jar full screw the lid on throw it out, the next day part full and each day less and it worked, Its been awhile so i think I am right on what to do, but i will research it some more and let you know.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Head Chef

ok I googled Natural Pest control and that came up so it is the banana in the bottom and bacon or butter greased rim. If i not mistaken i greased the inside rim and down a lil into the jar. I does work ! Good luck ewwwww I suddenly have the itches :)
Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #7
Head Chef

I'm with DQ - I keep my kitchen counters absolutely clean because of all the bugs we have here. Having said that, I have two HUGE cockroaches living on my kitchen counter, that hide behind the appliances and only come out at night. I see them occasionally first thing in the morning - about two inches long each. Maybe I'll try that banana in the jar trick!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Head Chef

Thanks for sticking up for the kid, but they were his roaches. I had lent him a dresser and bedframe, and when I picked them up, the dresser had cockroaches inside. I didn't bring the furniture in until I had disinfected every surface. (I didn't even bring it up on the porch--I left it in the back of the truck till I was done.)

Dropping everything in the Mojave sounds effective, but inefficient.

I have had an occasional roach in the past--I think they come in with the dog food, or bags of potatoes and onions--but this was 5 little ones, so I think they had just hatched out.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
Head Chef

I was gonna suggest that you remove anything he left there from the move.. boxes, etc.. but it sounds like you did already.

Roaches....or water bugs.. will come up your plumbing to visit.
Two of our cats have figured out the bugs come up the basement shower drain.
It isn't unusual to find one or both sitting patiently on a rainy day, just waiting for
their own personal playtoy to come out. I MUCH prefer finding DEAD waterbug roaches
in my house to the live version, so GOOD KITTIES!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

Ok... now you guys got me all itchy!!!! Brehhhhhhh!!