"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Oil + water = boom!

I did not know this. Almost exploded the kitchen. How do you cool down a sizzling pan of oil?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Remove the oil from the pan before putting water in or just wait for the pan to cool on its own.

To remove the oil I like to stuff a cup with wadded up paper towels and pour the oil into that and then just put the paper towels in the trash.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...To remove the oil I like to stuff a cup with wadded up paper towels and pour the oil into that and then just put the paper towels in the trash.

I do something similar. I use paper towels to sop up the oil in the pan and toss them into the trash. Use your tongs, not your fingers.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Sous Chef

With or without the oil, you probably don't want to put cold water in a hot pan anyhow. It's the fastest way to warp the bottom of your pan!

Just set it to the side, on a turned off cool burner, and wait for the temperature to drop naturally.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

I either pour the oil off into my food waste or let the pan cool on its own and then wipe it with a paper towel.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
With or without the oil, you probably don't want to put cold water in a hot pan anyhow. It's the fastest way to warp the bottom of your pan!

Just set it to the side, on a turned off cool burner, and wait for the temperature to drop naturally.
Cold water yes, but hot water won't warp the pan.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Master Chef

Like others have said - remove the heat source from the pan and allow it to cool down on its own. You can do this by turning the heat off or moving the pan to a cold burner.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Master Chef

Just as a side note; Adding oil to boiling water will not make it go boom as the water is able to boil and dissipate the heat. Adding water to hot oil is where you get into trouble. The same is true when combinding acid and water. If you add the acid to the water, you're alright as the water can dissipate the heat. However, never, ever pour water into acid. The acid can't dissipate the heat generated by the chemical reaction and that will go boom, splashing acid all over the place, and possibly onto you.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

if you work in a kitchen try throwing snow balls or ice cubes into the fryers, its been known to happen time to time.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Master Chef

Here is a short clip excerpt from the Mythbuster's episode Greased Lightning that shows what happens when you add water to burning cooking oil (fireballs), and to hot oil below the flash point (1 teaspoon of water hitting hot oil instantly produces about 2 gallons of steam).