Open box of chicken broth, Safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smell it ... when in doubt throw it out. A few months is a bit too long for an open chicken broth.. and it's pretty cheap anyway. I wouldn't risk it. Also, if it's cloudy, ICK.

Not even close to safe. Think of it this way would you eat a chicken breast that had been in the fridge for a month?

Throw it out. The boxed Swanson's Chicken Broth I buy clearly says on the carton to use within 14 days after opening. If I'm coming up close to that deadline, I either use it to moisten my dogs' meals, or I pour it into an ice cube tray & freeze it. If I've missed that 14-day deadline completely - out it goes. Chicken Broth is too inexpensive to worry about tossing.

Please throw it out and don't even put the chicken before any animal or pet as its now very old and non edible by anybody!

Throw it out. The boxed Swanson's Chicken Broth I buy clearly says on the carton to use within 14 days after opening. If I'm coming up close to that deadline, I either use it to moisten my dogs' meals, or I pour it into an ice cube tray & freeze it. If I've missed that 14-day deadline completely - out it goes. Chicken Broth is too inexpensive to worry about tossing.

agree with that.

I freeze packaged broth/stock (or for that matter fresh that I've made) rather than let it stay in the fridge for anything over a week. I wouldn't even take a chance with it.

Back
Top Bottom