Order of operations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Was this thread helpful?

• Yes, I can apply some of this to my work habits.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Excellent, I had never thought about food priorities.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please, when preparing your food at home or at work (if you work in a restaurant) come up with a logical order of operations. Here is the example...

Mise en place should be constructed in order from least potentally dangerous to most.

Low danger, high acid vegetables.
High danger, low acid vegetables.
Starches.
Seafood.
Pork.
Beef, Lamb, Veal.
and the last thing to hit your counters or cutting boards...poultry.

An obvious exception would be if you were roasting or slow cooking something, but please, clean, rinse and sanitize your area before doing any more cooking or preparing. I do this at work every day, generally I will creat my prep list and then assign priorities.

Salad Mix
Sliced Tomatoes
Diced Tomatoes
etc.
then the low acids...
cucumbers
onions
red peppers
then the starches...
Wash Potatoes
Peel Potatoes
Peel Sweet Potatoes
Rinse Rice
then the meats...
Cut Fish
Rinse and Prep Shellfish
then the pork
then the beef
and last I cut my chicken.

Of course I use the Clean-as-you-go technique cleaning and sanitizing surfaces between each task, and changing cutting boards between each protien. Once my mise en place is finished, I get hot soapy water and scrub down all my surfaces, rinse with hot water, and finally sanitize all surfaces with a rinse free sanitizer. Now I am ready for the orders.

This is the third poll I've posted to that leaves me little options regarding the choices.
Where is the choice "I already know this cause it's my job " ? Sounds like you are in the industry, too. Great...and we should always follow the road to least contamination. However...most people in the private sector aren't really doing the whole mise en place thing. They cook one thing, or prepare one thing, then move on to the next. When you are making a meal fo 3 or 4 people, that makes sense. When you have to do repetitive items, it makes sense to have all your ducks in a row.

I don't cook at home like I'm on the job. I work at home like I'm at home, and I work on the job like I have to feed 1500 people. Big difference.

Vera, as I read it I had the same feelings as you.

When I am catering, my whole mindset turns professional and all these rules apply automatically. But to try this in a home kitchen for a small meal with often limited space, tools and time, it doesn't necessarily make sense. Yes, keep cleanliness and safety first but in persepective as well.

This is the third poll I've posted to that leaves me little options regarding the choices.
Where is the choice "I already know this cause it's my job " ? Sounds like you are in the industry, too. Great...and we should always follow the road to least contamination. However...most people in the private sector aren't really doing the whole mise en place thing. They cook one thing, or prepare one thing, then move on to the next. When you are making a meal fo 3 or 4 people, that makes sense. When you have to do repetitive items, it makes sense to have all your ducks in a row.

I don't cook at home like I'm on the job. I work at home like I'm at home, and I work on the job like I have to feed 1500 people. Big difference.

I couldn't agree with you more!

I just didn't answer the poll, because the appropriate answer was not available.

To the OP... a lot of home cooks know a lot about food safety. It seems as if you are presuming the people on this site have no clue. You are incorrect.

I am not a professional but I think as long as the place is clean and basic food safety is followed, things should be fine. I almost didn't respond because it seemed kind of intimidating to this "homecook" to read the list and feel like I'm being reprimanded for doing things wrong. So far as I know, I have yet to cause a case of food poisoning from my cooking. After reading the responses here from professionals I don't feel so bad.

I use different cutting boards for my meat and veggies.... clean up as I go along... no dead bodies on my kitchen floor yet. Must work out ok!!

I couldn't agree with you more!

I just didn't answer the poll, because the appropriate answer was not available.

To the OP... a lot of home cooks know a lot about food safety. It seems as if you are presuming the people on this site have no clue. You are incorrect.
Thanks June and Vera ~ this post made me go :huh: because it didn't make sense and the choices for the poll were too limited. I needed a "no, because it's not relevant" choice. I can't prepare foods in this order because it doesn't make sense when I'm cooking. I prepare based on cook time. Chicken takes longer than potatoes but potatoes take longer than steak. If I prepare the potatoes and I'm having chicken, the potatoes will be ready so early they'd be a separate meal.

I never use my cutting board after chicken unless I spray Clorox Kitchen on it and pour boiling water on it. So far my habits have kept me safe for 45 years and my daughter has made it to 17 without dying from my methods.

Really not sure the point of this thread. What was it exactly??

Hate to say this but with my situation in the cabin, cleanliness is top priority. We're talking soot, dust, cat hair, dog hair, and no central heat or a/c. Got to keep it all clean.

Okay, first up, I also am a food service professional. Obviously there are a myriad of ways food service operations are and can be established. Here is the nitty gritty...if you just got done butchering chicken in your kitchen, now is not the best time to get the greens out and start hacking away. I don't care how well you have cleaned and sanitized, if this is how you cook, don't invite me over for dinner.

Greens can be washed and cut first thing. Mirepoix, mise en place, garnish, why would you break flow to cut chicken or beef, only to have to clean and sanitize before busting out the garlic, onions, and terragon?

I run a busy white-tablecloth restaurant, and although we are not serving 1500 people a day, Vera, I do operate with a skeleton crew. As my own prep cook, if I am not as clean and organized as possible, I will not be able to prepare my 30+ item menu in time for my 100-200 geusts. The thread was meant to assist people in establishing a work routine. The pool was intended to let me know (as a newbie to this site) how many skilled professionals vs. people looking for good work advice there are here. I see now that there is less willingness to take advise than improve one's self. But on the otherhand, you may have nothing to do with your own work routine. Maybe someone maps out your whole day for you, I don't know. My day is mapped out by a need to produce as much food as possible with as little labor as possible so that my productivity is sharp and my guests are happy and healthy.

And again, June, you are correct. Unfortunately, however, there are also a lot of home cooks and "professionals" who know nothing about food saftey (or know nothing about practicing it), this thread was meant to help them avoid poisoning their loved ones and patrons.

Oh I guess I got this wrong but with my situation I have to keep things clean, really clean.
I have those plastic cutting boards and I have one for veggies and herbs and another for meat. I try to keep it separate and I clean those, the knives and any other utensils, and the counter with a bleach solution.
My hot water tank is tiny and I don't have a dishwasher or anything. So I have to keep stuff really clean here.

Well, chefnaterock, it's good that you have your order. If it works for you, great. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss people who aren't eager to receive advice they didn't request, though.
As far as preparing chicken at home before making the salad... Well, like a few people said here already; the chicken is done first because it takes longer to cook. I wouldn't do my greens first, at home, either. I don't have overmuch room in the fridge for assembled plates, or even a series of bowls of mise en place. I keep my walk ins at work;). As far as cleaning up, well, I have two different certifications in food safety and sanitation, so anyone could safely dine at my home without risk of a food borne intoxication. Which brings me to my last point regarding your posts...

In my opinion, it's that kind of 'I'm a professional and I'm better equipped to cook/prepare/serve/advise etc than the average home cook' attitude that makes so many friends and family feel intimidated about inviting professionals for a meal. Personally, I've learned lots from home cooks and I'd never dismiss their abilities nor assume I knew more. Good luck with the restaurant.

Here is the nitty gritty...if you just got done butchering chicken in your kitchen, now is not the best time to get the greens out and start hacking away. I don't care how well you have cleaned and sanitized, if this is how you cook, don't invite me over for dinner.

This thread started out weird, and more than a bit patronizing, but this takes the cake. Are you saying that once I've cut up a chicken in my kitchen it's not safe to make a salad, ever?! How is it possible for you to run a kitchen if no amount of cleaning or sanitizing is enough?

robsanx, you beat me to it. I had the same thought.

Personally, I do all my veggie prep stuff before I move on to "proteins".

Wow, this is quite the thread. Chefnaterock, I'm sure you meant no offence, perhaps you should do a little search on our site about all the various threads that have been posted about hygiene and safety, they are myriad.

Okay, first up, I also am a food service professional. Obviously there are a myriad of ways food service operations are and can be established. Here is the nitty gritty...if you just got done butchering chicken in your kitchen, now is not the best time to get the greens out and start hacking away. I don't care how well you have cleaned and sanitized, if this is how you cook, don't invite me over for dinner.

I am very sorry, chefnaterock, but I would really like to know what prompted you to start this thread. It is very demeaning to professionals and home cooks alike.

I think if you had started a thread asking people about their foodsafe procedures and then stated A FEW of your own as an example, this could have turned into a very interesting conversation. But you will learn quickly here at DC, if you ask, you will get answers.....the answer you get depends on how you ask.

I am a retired Executive Chef and I find your post in very poor taste. 99% of the members of DC are very aware of food safety. If you would have bothered to go back and check previous threads you would have found many, many threads on food safety. cutting boards and Etc
Chef David Hutchins ACF

Y'know, I just don't think this is going to go anywhere pleasant. I'm going to shut it down now before it goes south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom