"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
No, this is all common sense. 2 50.00%
Somewhat, but do people really not know this stuff? 2 50.00%
Yes, I can apply some of this to my work habits. 0 0%
Excellent, I had never thought about food priorities. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Well, chefnaterock, it's good that you have your order. If it works for you, great. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss people who aren't eager to receive advice they didn't request, though.
As far as preparing chicken at home before making the salad... Well, like a few people said here already; the chicken is done first because it takes longer to cook. I wouldn't do my greens first, at home, either. I don't have overmuch room in the fridge for assembled plates, or even a series of bowls of mise en place. I keep my walk ins at work. As far as cleaning up, well, I have two different certifications in food safety and sanitation, so anyone could safely dine at my home without risk of a food borne intoxication. Which brings me to my last point regarding your posts...

In my opinion, it's that kind of 'I'm a professional and I'm better equipped to cook/prepare/serve/advise etc than the average home cook' attitude that makes so many friends and family feel intimidated about inviting professionals for a meal. Personally, I've learned lots from home cooks and I'd never dismiss their abilities nor assume I knew more. Good luck with the restaurant.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefnaterock View Post
Here is the nitty gritty...if you just got done butchering chicken in your kitchen, now is not the best time to get the greens out and start hacking away. I don't care how well you have cleaned and sanitized, if this is how you cook, don't invite me over for dinner.
This thread started out weird, and more than a bit patronizing, but this takes the cake. Are you saying that once I've cut up a chicken in my kitchen it's not safe to make a salad, ever?! How is it possible for you to run a kitchen if no amount of cleaning or sanitizing is enough?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
Head Chef

robsanx, you beat me to it. I had the same thought.

Personally, I do all my veggie prep stuff before I move on to "proteins".
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Everymom

Wow, this is quite the thread. Chefnaterock, I'm sure you meant no offence, perhaps you should do a little search on our site about all the various threads that have been posted about hygiene and safety, they are myriad.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefnaterock View Post
Okay, first up, I also am a food service professional. Obviously there are a myriad of ways food service operations are and can be established. Here is the nitty gritty...if you just got done butchering chicken in your kitchen, now is not the best time to get the greens out and start hacking away. I don't care how well you have cleaned and sanitized, if this is how you cook, don't invite me over for dinner.
I am very sorry, chefnaterock, but I would really like to know what prompted you to start this thread. It is very demeaning to professionals and home cooks alike.

I think if you had started a thread asking people about their foodsafe procedures and then stated A FEW of your own as an example, this could have turned into a very interesting conversation. But you will learn quickly here at DC, if you ask, you will get answers.....the answer you get depends on how you ask.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #16
Head Chef

I am a retired Executive Chef and I find your post in very poor taste. 99% of the members of DC are very aware of food safety. If you would have bothered to go back and check previous threads you would have found many, many threads on food safety. cutting boards and Etc
Chef David Hutchins ACF
Old 01-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #17
Everymom

Y'know, I just don't think this is going to go anywhere pleasant. I'm going to shut it down now before it goes south.

Closed Thread

Tags
sanitation safety