"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #41
Master Chef

I, too, like the silicone potholders. Yes, they're less flexible, but they never get burned and I never feel the heat. On top of it, they're good for keeping a mixing bowl or cutting board in place on the counter, and great for a grip when opening jars. It is just getting used to a new texture. If one gets wet, I toss it in the sink and grab another. Oh, and they make a great trivet. I have a half-dozen and love them. I actually dropped one on a hot burner. It warped a bit, I picked it up and threw it out into the snow and threw it away, but in fact it probably was still usable, just ugly. (the burner was really hot, and my back was turned, so it stayed there awhile. Had it been a towel or cloth potholder, I'd have been reaching for a pot to toss over it to put out the fire)

Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thick double terry hot pads for me. I have two silicone pads that I don't like...I can feel the heat through them too fast. Mits are too bulky, for both my hands and the drawer. Someone mentioned hand crocheted pads......good for nothing but "cuteness".....those holes are not a good thing.
Are the crocheted in a circle? Are they crocheted using cotton the thickness of yarn that one would use for a scarf? Because I have seen that kind in Denmark and they work fine. All single crochet, so no holes.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #43
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Are the crocheted in a circle? Are they crocheted using cotton the thickness of yarn that one would use for a scarf? Because I have seen that kind in Denmark and they work fine. All single crochet, so no holes.
I know nuffin about crochet TL, but these are double thickness and each thickness has big holes, not cotton. One looks like an owl, and like I say, they are cute, but...........
The ones from Denmark sound nice and practical.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I know nuffin about crochet TL, but these are double thickness and each thickness has big holes, not cotton. One looks like an owl, and like I say, they are cute, but...........
The ones from Denmark sound nice and practical.
They aren't particularly cute or attractive - it's a beginner's project
Old 01-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #45
Head Chef

I'll have to look into the ove gloves thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Oven mitts here. Easy on/easy off. I think I'll look for those silicon pot holders though. I need some trivets anyway if I don't like using them to grab hot things. I have a dedicated pair of welding gloves I use for messing around with the smoker or grill. I also have the oven gloves (or whatever they're called). I was given them as a present. I don't like them because they fit too snug. Too hard to put on and take off for the short time they are used. And I don't have big hands.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #47
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Oven mitts here. Easy on/easy off. I think I'll look for those silicon pot holders though. I need some trivets anyway if I don't like using them to grab hot things. I have a dedicated pair of welding gloves I use for messing around with the smoker or grill. I also have the oven gloves (or whatever they're called). I was given them as a present. I don't like them because they fit too snug. Too hard to put on and take off for the short time they are used. And I don't have big hands.
And mine flop around...
Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #48
Head Chef

I used the ove glove and got it wet. Like any other mitt or potholder I got a nasty burn that way (using it wet). I personally prefer cloth pot holders. The silicone ones just aren't flexible enough.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I used the ove glove and got it wet. Like any other mitt or potholder I got a nasty burn that way (using it wet). I personally prefer cloth pot holders. The silicone ones just aren't flexible enough.

The difference in flexibility with silicone is the only beef I have with silicone. I have had enough issues with cloth pot holders that I'm willing to adjust to the silicone. In balance, their pros far outweigh their cons for me.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

I like that you say you can throw the silicon potholders in the dishwasher.