"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:11 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
Sorry, Jason my boy, but, no, you're not yet "forgiven for going on a rant." Not when you were so sloppy with your phrasing.

First of all: are the folks at Valrhona morons for not putting on the label that their chocolate is nut-free? Aside from the perfectly logical explanation already given to you by Ishbel, one might ask -- what else would you have them list on the label as NOT being in their chocolate? Allergies are everywhere and I'm sorry to say that outside of the U.S., in the Axis of Morons, the allergic person is considered to be first in the line of defense.

Secondly, you go on to say they ought to be sued. THIS is the root of your feelings, Jason, but evidently you don't have the big picture on this issue. The U.S. is unusually litigious. Elsewhere suing someone every time the wind blows just isn't done, for myriad reasons we shouldn't really have to get into here.

There's a very common expression used to describe the packaging you're evidently so fond of, and that's "idiot-proof." I mean no personal slur against you, but I'd have to argue for a bit of common sense in your everyday dealings with the world.

You will pardon me for my rant.
I was thinking the very same thing. Companies have an obligation to list the ingredients, not the non-ingredients. Further, it's also the responsibility of the people with the deadly allergy to do their homework, first....and the companies second. Too many people want to drop the responsibility into the lap of others, rather than shoulder it themselves.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I just googled the words nut free chocolate....I stopped reading websites after the 3rd one prooved to be just what you need.

Again, it's up to the consumer to do the legwork when life and death are involved.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #13
Everymom

I'm closing this. OP has his answers.

Closed Thread