Peanut butter - refrigeration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I didn't know that, thanks..

What happens with me is, when I buy the peanut butter, it is already separated and I just stick it in the frig. I do not try to mix anything together. I tried, once, and vowed I would never do that again, what a mess. So I never stir my pb and it stays separated. I don't understand the big deal. Just leave it alone and use it. I dive right into the jar.

Well, much of the benefit of eating peanut butter from a nutrition standpoint is the mono saturated oil naturally in the peanut and the peanut oil often added to natural peanut butter to make it smoother. This oil actually lowers bad cholesterol as does olive oil and canola oil. If you are leaving it in the jar by just using the ground nuts, then you are missing an important part of the food.

don't worry, I'm not leaving anything behind in my peanut butter jars:LOL:. When I spoon out what I want, the oil clings to the peanut butter. When I get to the bottom of the jar, no oil is left. That's why i don't understand the turmoil about stirring the stuff up.

The only reason I would refrigerate PB is because when I lived at my parents house, we had an ant infestation and they gravitated towards the PB. The less open things like that you have in your cupboard the better, in my opinion. Refrigerating won't hurt it.

To be honest, I never try to refrigerate the natural peanut butter in the refrigerator and I also won't do it as well.

As I know, the taste after the refrigeration is a little bit different than the original taste...

If it is all natual meaning just ground peanuts with nothing added, you do not put peanuts in the shell in the fridge do you?

I grew up eating peanut butter that was never refrigerated. In fact, the first time I saw somebody pull a jar of pb out of the fridge, I laughed and asked why he would do a such silly thing! It was as strange as if someone kept their silverwear or crackers or something in the fridge. I've kept a jar of pb unrefrigerated for up to a month and it's been perfectly fine. Then again I haven't been buying this "natural" pb =P

I always thought Skippy tasted way better than "natural" peanut butter. I figure the can of peanuts doesn't say to refridgerate, why should I do it to peanut butter?

In my family we've always had PB in the fridge and another jar in the cupboard, my dad was the only one who could eat it at all 3 meals. I can also relate that its a pain & a mess when trying to stir the oil back in. I never liked the creamy PB because it always made me sick after eating some.

I buy Jif brand and have never put mine in the refrigerator. Actually, it never occured to me because growing up mom never did. My family and I haven't suffered any ill effects from it so I'll continue to keep it in my cabinet.

It seems pretty simple to me. If a product is marked, "Refrigerate after opening", I put it in the fridge after I open it.

To each his own, I guess...

I've never refrigerated Peanut Butter, never had a problem with it. What I do tho, is keep it upside down on the shelf so the oil stays on top of the peanut butter.

I always thought Skippy tasted way better than "natural" peanut butter. I figure the can of peanuts doesn't say to refridgerate, why should I do it to peanut butter?
We like Skippy the best, too. :chef: Jif is pretty good, but Skippy is a cut above, IMHO. ;)

Back
Top Bottom