Perpetual chili safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevinh

Assistant Cook
Hi new to group. Kevin here.

I like idea of keeping a pot of chili going for a long time by just adding a few new ingredients now and then, it seems easier. Just throw in more hamburger, already browned or more bean etc.

Does this present a safety hazard after awhile? You are constantly adding more new material and using up the old but perhaps some will get too old?

Maybe after a week or so it would be good to start fresh?

Ideas?

No, I do not think that is safe. You might never get to some of the food you started with until it has already gone bad. Chili is something that you can make a big batch of and freeze. You are much better off doing it that way instead of risking your health.

I agree... you may be eating something that is a week old and cooked five times. I wouldn't try it.

Sounds like a bad idea to me.
I can't tell you in how many ways......

You are either maintaining a high cooking temperature to ward off bacteria growth and thus cooking all the nutrients out of the food, or maintaining a low/warm temperature that allows bacteria growth, though if you have done it enough you probably have a slight immunity to the nasties....maybe only getting occasional indigestion, diarrhea, or flu-like symptoms....and of course probably still cooking all the nutrients out of the food.

Yup, I agree with the others, not recommended.

...by just adding a few new ingredients now and then, it seems easier. Just throw in more hamburger, already browned or more bean etc...

Very real safety concerns aside for the moment, just adding a few ingredients here or there will result in a chili that never tastes right. If you add some precooked hamburg and nothing else, the flavors will be diluted. If you add just beans - the same thing.

That might work with a bowl of potato chips or pretzels.....

Oh. Might take on a life of its own, like sourdough starter. Or the Blob. Ummm, I'll pass, but thanks, and welcome.

me too breezy, on both counts.

i think you might be able to dress up leftovers just once or twice, but after that you're creating a new society, not just more food.

No,
Doesn't sound like it would by safe or tasty. I'm another fan of the cook and freeze leftover method.

Back
Top Bottom