Pizza Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MTS

Assistant Cook
I was baking a pizza on a pizza stone and while it was baking the pizza stone broke in half. Does anyone know is the pizza still good to eat? Thanks

Yes, the pizza is still good to eat and, believe it or not, the pizza stone is still good to be cooked upon. Just push it back together, waiting for it to cool down first, and it's ready for your next pizza.

Thanks so much , wasn't sure if it was still safe or not.

I'm sure the pizza is fine as long as there are no chunks of the stone imbedded in it.
I'm sure the purest here will have an issue with this but I use a piece of granite as a pizza stone.
Yes you can run into problems with natural stone but that happens when moisture is present in the stone. Moisture expands causing the stone to explode but I have used this stone for years and it holds up just fine. Why?? Because it was cheap. Yes I am a cheapskate. It came from a kitchen demo we did it's been fine for me. One day I may eat my words when it blows apart and cracks the glass of the oven door but until then I'll be happy eating the product it produces for me. :yum:
Anyone have a pizza dough recipe that's extra special? ;)

While moisture can cause a stone to crack, if you've been using it for a while, it's unlikely unless you wet it. Stones can crack just from repeated expansion and contraction.

Pizza stones (all imported from the U.S) sell for about $50 here in Bangkok. That's why I've delayed buying one for so long. Aside from the steep price, I find them too thin and fragile-looking. I recently decided to go to places selling granite tiles. While there, it occurred to me that granite is not moisture-absorbent and might not keep the dough crisp and dry on the bottom. So off I went to a place selling terracotta flower pots hoping to find something suitable. If I could just find a flat piece of terracotta with 1-inch thickness, that would be great.

Well, I found something even better: Terracotta tiles for fencing in and lining flower beds. Each tile is about 6 inches long x 5 inches wide and 1 inch thick. They sold them by stacks of 10 tiles. I bought one stack for just $2.50.

I got home excitedly and found I could snugly fit 4 tiles in my middle oven rack. The great thing about this is, my thick pizza stone comes in four not-too-heavy pieces. If one tile breaks, I still have 6 more spare tiles. Best of all, it cost practically nothing.

Today I made pizza for the first time ever, laying the pizza directly on the hot terracotta tiles. The pizza came out just thin and crispy, and the bottom had golden brown bubble formations, exactly the way I like it!

Thought I might share this idea with you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom