"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 12-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Cook

Question Plating on a whisk coming off?

I noticed just a bit ago while making a breakfast cake that my aluminum whisk is turning pink. It's a stupid flimsy thing I got in a kitchen kit at walmart 4+ years ago, so I didn't think it would be aluminum coated copper, but it isn't rust. Is it safe to use? I continued to use it in my cake as the only hot ingredient was the melted butter (fresh out of the microwave) and I don't have any other whisks.
Thanks in advance,
Katie

Old 12-21-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Senior Cook

pink? thats a bit odd....i have no idea what that is, and its possible that it is totally safe, by since you are unsure why not just go and get a new one? a good one can be had for cheap, you won't have to worry about the pink, and you will probably appreciate the increase in performance

i have an oxo one and like it very much....aside from choosing an appropriate shape, i look for a handle that is well sealed so water does not leak in and cause rusk

Old 12-21-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Cook

I'll be grabbing a new one today when I swing by BB&B. I was snowed in yesterday but had a lot of stuff to cook, so thats why I was concerned ;) I do like oxo's products, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look for those while at the store.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Executive Chef

It may not be aluminum. It may be chrome plated copper, thus the pink appearance.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Since you have a question as to its potential for harm, I'd be dumping it and getting a couple of new ones. different sizes and strengths for different uses.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by coookies View Post
I noticed just a bit ago while making a breakfast cake that my aluminum whisk is turning pink. It's a stupid flimsy thing I got in a kitchen kit at walmart 4+ years ago, so I didn't think it would be aluminum coated copper, but it isn't rust. Is it safe to use? I continued to use it in my cake as the only hot ingredient was the melted butter (fresh out of the microwave) and I don't have any other whisks.
Thanks in advance,
Katie
Copper can be used to plate base metals before they are plated with another metal.