Plating on a whisk coming off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coookies

Cook
I noticed just a bit ago while making a breakfast cake that my aluminum whisk is turning pink. It's a stupid flimsy thing I got in a kitchen kit at walmart 4+ years ago, so I didn't think it would be aluminum coated copper, but it isn't rust. Is it safe to use? I continued to use it in my cake as the only hot ingredient was the melted butter (fresh out of the microwave) and I don't have any other whisks.
Thanks in advance,
Katie

pink? thats a bit odd....i have no idea what that is, and its possible that it is totally safe, by since you are unsure why not just go and get a new one? a good one can be had for cheap, you won't have to worry about the pink, and you will probably appreciate the increase in performance

i have an oxo one and like it very much....aside from choosing an appropriate shape, i look for a handle that is well sealed so water does not leak in and cause rusk

I'll be grabbing a new one today when I swing by BB&B. I was snowed in yesterday but had a lot of stuff to cook, so thats why I was concerned ;) I do like oxo's products, thanks for the recommendation, I'll look for those while at the store.

Thanks!

It may not be aluminum. It may be chrome plated copper, thus the pink appearance.

Since you have a question as to its potential for harm, I'd be dumping it and getting a couple of new ones. different sizes and strengths for different uses.

I noticed just a bit ago while making a breakfast cake that my aluminum whisk is turning pink. It's a stupid flimsy thing I got in a kitchen kit at walmart 4+ years ago, so I didn't think it would be aluminum coated copper, but it isn't rust. Is it safe to use? I continued to use it in my cake as the only hot ingredient was the melted butter (fresh out of the microwave) and I don't have any other whisks.
Thanks in advance,
Katie

Copper can be used to plate base metals before they are plated with another metal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom