"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 123
Pre-stuffed meat and poultry??

I never prestuff my turkey before roasting for safety reasons.

My question is how come they sell pre-stuffed chickens, pork chops, flank steak, etc. in the fresh prepared foods part of the grocery store? How can that be safe?

__________________

__________________
anni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Sous Chef
 
bowlingshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Compton
Posts: 551
My guess is that there will be instructions to tell you too cook until you reach an internal temperature of 6000 degress so it will be safe.
__________________

__________________
Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
bowlingshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
I would assume that as long as you cooked it properly it would be just fine. They sell them in most grocery stores around here as well, and they seem to be very popular with a lot of people.
Myself, I would rather stuff it than pay as much as $36.99/lb. just to have them do it!!
On average, having them do it seems to about double the asking price.
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #4
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
My guess is that there will be instructions to tell you too cook until you reach an internal temperature of 6000 degress so it will be safe.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I would assume that as long as you cooked it properly it would be just fine. They sell them in most grocery stores around here as well, and they seem to be very popular with a lot of people.
Myself, I would rather stuff it than pay as much as $36.99/lb. just to have them do it!!
On average, having them do it seems to about double the asking price.
I do my own too. It's just something I've always wondered about.
__________________
anni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #5
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
I kinda wonder too, and if they weren't so expensive I would be tempted to try them out one of these days just to see.
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I kinda wonder too, and if they weren't so expensive I would be tempted to try them out one of these days just to see.
Maybe next time I'm at Wegman's, I'll ask someone. I'll post what they tell me.
__________________
anni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by anni View Post
I never prestuff my turkey before roasting for safety reasons.

My question is how come they sell pre-stuffed chickens, pork chops, flank steak, etc. in the fresh prepared foods part of the grocery store? How can that be safe?
Anni,

There is nothing inherently unsafe about stuffing meats. It certainly isn't any safer to stuff your meat at home than buying it stuffed. It is all about making sure you reach the proper temperature internally in the meat AND the stuffing.

Pork and beef are not much of an issue as you are stuffing the inside of the actual muscle, which is likely to be free of pathogens.

Stuffing the intestinal cavity of poultry, however is another story, at it is highly likely to contain Salmonella organisms from the preparation process. The larger the bird, the larger the potential.

So chickens are safer to stuff than Turkeys. This is even truer today as turkeys have been bread to cook in much less time than when I was growing up. Getting up at 4 in the morning to put the turkey in now gives you a fully cooked turkey at about 7:30

Unfortunately, some birds will be fully cooked before the stuffing inside reaches 165 degrees minimum. That is where the danger comes in.

The absolute best thing a home cook can learn to do is to use an instant read thermometer and use it often to check temps of cooked foods as they come out of the oven/grill/microwave/ fry pan.

And even better choice for many dishes is a thermometer that inserts into the food and plugs into a unit outside the oven that you can set for a specific temp.

As to why do they do it. Money. You take a $.98 per pound 5 lb chicken, add $.30 worth of stuffing, and sell it for $9 or $10.
__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
How in the world do they breed them to cook faster? Lighter muscle mass or smaller size or less density?
__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
How in the world do they breed them to cook faster? Lighter muscle mass or smaller size or less density?
Like the difference between a stewing chicken and a roaster.
__________________

__________________
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.