"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Putting cake batter in the fridge for a couple of days?

Last week i made a triple batch of cake batter. After pouring into the three pans I had about 2 cups extra, so I poured it into a small pan and put it into the fridge so that it would not spoil while waiting for the other 3 cakes to bake. i forgot about it..then almost one week later, I thought "what the heck" so I put it in the oven and baked it. It tasted very good and had almost the same texture as the cakes that were freshly baked - maybe even the same. My fridge now is set on the coldest setting, and is probably only 1 to 2 degrees above freezing. Some parts of the fridge are at freezing.

Is this a safe practice? It would be really convenient if I could do this often.

pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
Master Chef
If the batter isn't sour it should be fine but don't leave it too long if you have raw eggs in it.

Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #3
Master Chef
That is the magic of double acting baking powder.

I have a cookbook put out by General Foods in 1933. They stressed "now the cake batters can wait". They advised mixing up one batter and baking it on three different days.

Pretty neat!
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Is your question about 2 days or almost a week? Two days, no problem in temp below 40 degree and covered. A week, probably alright but it would depend on the use by date of the eggs and milk in the batter. In any event, your issue would be spoilage not food borne illness from pathogenic organisms.
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Cook
Yes, I see that the issue is the life of the eggs. Does anyone have more to say about this? I will also be making my own breads soon..am interested in being able to make the dough on Sunday night, for example, and then cooking some Sunday night, Tuesday night and Thursday night. Can this be done? What about freezing cake batter, cookie dough or bread dough? I usually entertain at home because my Chinese friends are curious about western food. It also keeps me out of noisy, smoke filled restaurants :( I want to be able to plan a weekly menu that will let me do most of my cooking/food prep on Sunday nights. I will soon be buying a seal a meal to help me out, as well as looking into the possibility of a new, colder fridge. Any suggestions on how to manage this will be much appreciated.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
never never never remember eggs eggs eggs
shannon peever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Sous Chef
>>Does anyone have more to say about this?

I don't think I'd do it as a routine practice.
there may be double acting baking powder, but keeping in in/out of refrigeration for long periods removes the first acting part of the double acting bit; you may find thicker cakes do not have quite the same texture.

>>use by dates of eggs and milk
I would encourage you to research what these terms actually mean. they do not mean one must throw it away after "the date" or one will get sick eating the stuff "after the date"

eggs, for example, are dated. there is a common industry practice to take back eggs "out of date" - rewash - inspect - put them back in a box with a new date on them.

regardless - eggs out of the shell are fertile grounds for bacterial growth - covered or not.
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
Senior Cook
I'm not so sure I would risk keeping raw egg. Not good to waste things especially perfectly good cake mix but it's better than getting sick

Fabiabi is offline   Reply With Quote