Raw eggs in recipe ... suggestion please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

non-stop cook

Assistant Cook
I just purchased a crate of peaches yesterday, for not such a
bad price and lovin fresh peaches, am going to make a dessert
with sliced fresh peaches. This is a delicious but strange recipe.
This is most likely an older recipe, it uses crumb layer, next layer is powder sugar, raw eggs and butter and then fresh sliced peaches
and finally cream. it is delicious, but does antyone have a suggestion for the second layer with raw eggs, I could eliminate them, but they must be their for some reason and to give it some other flavor. thanks for any suggestions, I have 3 days before i make it, Carolyn

sorry, I should have clarified that, no baking of this recipe; that's what makes it a great summer recipe.

You can use pasteurized eggs, or irradiated eggs. These are both safe to use raw. You should be able to find one or the other, or maybe both, in most major grocery stores - back in the eggs section.

good to know

I really like the taste of the recipe, so I may have to check our small town for that, thanks for information Carolyn

You can use pasteurized eggs, or irradiated eggs. These are both safe to use raw. You should be able to find one or the other, or maybe both, in most major grocery stores - back in the eggs section.

LOL - after looking over your description again (in the absence of the recipe) ... I wonder if we are on the same page? :question:

I was thinking at first that you were talking about all of these ingredients being separate layers (didn't sound right to me) ... but I bet that what you are really doing is whisking the sugar and eggs as you drizzle in the hot melted butter - in which case you are actually partially cooking the eggs and making a custard. The problem is that there is no way to know if the temperature is enough to kill any salmonella bacteria (so, for this you would want to use pasteurized or irradiated eggs). If, after mixing, you heat in a double-boiler, whisking constantly for 3-minutes ... it would be safe with regular eggs.

Compare that to how to pasteurize eggs at home.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom