"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Master Chef

Actually - it's best if you actually ask your seafood vendor if the fish they're selling you is safe for sushi. Around here, even regular supermarkets sell sushi-grade tuna & salmon, & it's noted as such. If they're not sure, then regardless of how great the fish looks, it's best to buy it for cooking & pass on it for sushi.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Yes you can make sushi at home, the best way i think is to ask them how they prepare the salmon by law the FDA recommends freezing at -35C (-31F) for 15 hours, or at -20C (-4F) for 7 days to be on the safe side.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

I'd say to just trust your nose. There's a big difference between good and starting to get bad. And if your monger won't let you smell it, I wouldn't go back to him.

That said, some salmon slices with a little bit of wasabi, soy and touch of lemon... wow. I just broke my mouth.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #14
Master Chef

GuamDude - the big question here isn't about the "freshness" of the fish, it's about parasites present in the fish flesh. Parasites that can live on in the human body & cause all sorts of serious intestinal problems. And it's a fact that most fish do carry them.

Sniff the fish all you want - it still won't show you whether or not parasites are present. Regardless of how fresh the fish is, it still needs to be frozen at certain temps for a certain period of time to be absolutely sure that any parasites are dead.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #15
Head Chef

Two things that I do with Salmon and most other fish. I would buy wild caught, not farmed, and if it has been frozen, I want to buy it frozen. If you ask the vendor, generally they will get it from the freezer. If they won't, I walk away. I have heard that farmed fish tends to have more parasites than wild, and I suspect that most fish available, particularly in supermarkets, has been frozen. Seems to me that if it is still frozen, it has been frozen long enough to kill parasites, and there is not much to worry about.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

I guess I'm coming from a different mindset being from the islands. it's not uncommon that when people go to our fishermen's co-op, the mongers know who caught the fish and when the boat came in. I can't speak for salmon because we import it but as for tuna andn marlin, it's not frozen before it is sold as sashimi in their refrigerated display cases. It may be a fact that parasites are in most fish but here it's a non-issue when it comes to sushi/sashimi.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

As far as I know, the only raw fish that's safe to eat is "sushi grade," which means it's flash frozen as soon as it's plucked from the water, it remains frozen during transport, and then it remains frozen until sold.

I'll tell you one thing that disturbed me, though. When the fish guy was cutting me a slab of sushi grade tuna, he was using a knife he grabbed off the counter. Was that knife only used on sushi grade fish? I would have felt like a jerk asking.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

This is one of the reasons that I want to buy frozen fish frozen. You haven't got a clue how long is has been sitting, how long in the display. Whether it has been cut up on a clean board, with a clean knife.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Once I had caught fresh pacific salmon in small alaskan town. I wanted to eat it raw. A man told me I should probably freeze it first, is there any truth to that?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

YES!! Even fish you've just pulled out of the water contain parasites that are capable of parasitizing YOU. The fish still needs to be frozen, preferably at zero degrees for 24-48 hours, or at lower temps for a longer period (please read all above previous posts here).