"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #21
Senior Cook

I've heard that fish fresh from the ocean is not quite ready for sashimi, as it needs time for the rigor mortis to pass. any truth to that, or was someone just pulling my fins?

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
Master Chef

If it's going to be consumed raw, fish has to be frozen first to eliminate parasites (please read the previous posts on this thread). Rigor mortis doesn't enter into the equation.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #23
Head Chef

Sashimi grade refers to how the fish has been handled. Most boats ice there fish often in slurry of salt water and ice. Most items for sushi grade have to do with preservation of the flesh. If you’re interested in what is sushi grade for tuna read the PDF found here.
http://www.spc.int/Coastfish/Fishing/Sashimi_E/Sashimi_E.htm Warning contains gory details.
I would not buy fish for Sushi without it being Sashimi grade.

Candling is often used in commercial fish processing to find parasites.

Eating raw fish that has not been frozen has risk. The level of risk depends upon species, where caught and how it was handled. Raw beef and raw oysters also carry risk.

Yes I have eaten fish that had not been frozen. In Japan I ate what is called Ikezukuri I picked the fish out from a tank. The chef prepared it and served i still moving. I don’t think that it was frozen in between.

Its best to ask if it is Sashimi grade.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Salmon sushi or sashimi is totally different from raw salmon you've seen in the market. If you wanna eat raw salmon like salmon sashimi you'd rather go to Japanese restaurant. The different thing is the process to carve salmon that only japanese professional chef can do that! I heard from my Japanese friends that It's not easy...