"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Raw salmon for sushi/etc.

Is there a way to find out if the salmon you buy is safe to eat raw? Cuz there's all that risk of food poisoning or whatever from eating raw meat. I've had raw beef before too, is this stuff you just wanna do at restaurants or is it possible to do this at home too?

Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Senior Cook

For fish, as long as it is fresh it should be safe to eat. Yes you can make sushi at home. Usually fish that is used for sushi is very good quality fish. If you go to a good quality supermarket like whole foods, or something similar you can ask the person at the fish counter which fish would be good for making sushi.

Sushi is not the easiest thing to make. I know it sounds very simple. It is just rice, seaweed, fish, and some vegetables or some variation of those ingrdients. The hard part is getting the rice right. I mean people in japan can spend 10 years learning how to cook rice for sushi. I am not saying you need to spend 10 years making sushi rice, before you can make homemade sushi, but it is not something you will learn the first time. I am not very good at making sushi rice, so I just decide to go out for sushi or buy already made sushi from whole foods.

As for beef carpaccio and other raw forms of beef, it is safe to eat at home. When I have had it at home, we always use a meat grinder and grind the beef ourself. It is just a meat grinding attachment to the electric mixer. That way you know you are getting good quality meat. If you do not have a meat grinder or do not want to take the time to grind it yourself, ask your butcher. If it is a good butcher they should grind the meat for you if you ask.

With all that said, there is always a risk when eating raw food. No matter if it is at a restaraunt or at home. Just stick to using fresh and good quality products and you should be safe.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

When its very difficult to take out the pinebones of the fillet with a pincer, the fish is fresh!!

video

greetings
www.filleting-fish.com
Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Master Chef

1Star - if you plan on making sushi (or gravlax for that matter), it's currently advised that the fish - any fish - should be frozen solid for 24-48 hours before thawing for use raw. It doesn't make any difference where you buy it from.

As far as beef, last I heard raw consumption at home wasn't/isn't recommended.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

oh, I'm not too crazy about raw beef...I do like them rare done though with blood juicing out of it =D

If you freeze the salmon, wouldn't it kill some of its flavor?
Old 03-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

whoa!! thats a pretty informative looking site you have there on fishes. Bookmark!! =D
Old 03-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRestaurant View Post
Absolutely not! In fact, fish that's been frozen & stored properly is actually fresher & more flavorful than most supposedly "never frozen"/"fresh" fish that's gone thru several middlemen &/or been shipped long distances for a period of who knows how long before it hits your seafood market. Just today I picked up an absolutely gorgeous wild-caught sockeye salmon filet from Whole Foods that had been previously frozen, & I know from previous experience with their fish that it will be fabulous-tasting when I cook it tomorrow.

I do know that, for safety reasons, all the sushi restaurants we've ever dined at only use raw fish that's been frozen at zero degrees for a specific period before
use.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRestaurant View Post
oh, I'm not too crazy about raw beef...I do like them rare done though with blood juicing out of it =D

That one made me laugh out loud .

The reason the FDA requires freezing is specifically to kill parasites like worm larvae. Of course, I'm not saying that dead parasites have any less flavor than live ones, but at least you won't get worms.

But then the same thing happens when you cook fish.......
Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
Master Chef

Exactly!! A number of years ago, before sushi places (at least back in NY & around here in VA - I don't remember when/if any law went into effect) began freezing sushi fish before thawing/serving, there were a number of highly-publicized cases of folks who had contracted fish parasites from consuming sushi.

Since the freezing thing went into place, I've yet to hear of any cases of this.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If you ask the market where you buy your salmon from they will tell you, more than likely, that it has been previously frozen already. If there is some concern about this you can ask them for some already frozen pieces. Just take home and keep frozen for a couple days to be safe.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote