"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-15-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Master Chef

As I said, I didn't do it, always opting to err on the safety side. Just was curious about whatever others do. I made them with the raw (previously frozen) turkey, fried, and just gave away the excess. Next time I'll remember to buy the ground meat fresh so I can freeze the raw spring rolls.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Refreezing isn't so much an issue of safety as it is of texture.

Assume you had some fresh turkey (or any other meat). Assume it's OK in the fridge for four days. You keep it in the fridge for a day then freeze it. Sometime later you defrost it in the refrigerator and use it within a day to make spring rolls, which you freeze raw.

Again assuming the turkey was not left at room temperature for an extended period, you could safely refreeze it. The keys in this are proper refrigeration at all times and not exceeding the four days.

What happens is that every time you freeze and thaw meat, some of the cell walls are broken by the expansion of the water in the cells and ice crystals damage the meat. All this doesn't make it unsafe. It changes the texture.

Where you are using ground or finely chopped meat, teture is unlikely to be an issue.
I concur mate, in Croatia my nephew is an octopus fisherman in the winter.He freezes them until the summer then sells them to restaurant in the summer, because of what you describe they dont need any .

Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
I do not believe that Salmonella has significant growth potential under proper refrigeration. Properly cooking poultry eliminates the concerns over Salmonella so that is always the key to safety.
I agree. The two most common ways of contracting Salmonella is cross contamination and not cooking the food to 165F.

Tags
turkey