"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
And it was Birdseye that scared us about freezing food that had been frozen and thawed. They scared us because they didn't want us ruining the texture of their frozen vegis by re-freezing them.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:36 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt-toast View Post
I don't care about that. It's the Health and Safety issue these things should be based on. Not a Company's Balance Sheet.

It's opened the door for widespread mis-information just so companies can reduce the time food is OK for, and make more money by re-selling more of the same, before strictly necessary.
Well, "should" has never stopped companies from considering their bottom line.
And the bottom line here is no one knows when opened food will actually become unsafe, because it is what happens from the point of opening on that matters. Companies will always choose to err on the side of caution, and their bottom line.

Your best defense is to educate yourself on food safety until you feel comfortable about which labels to follow and which to ignore.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Well, "should" has never stopped companies from considering their bottom line.
And the bottom line here is no one knows when opened food will actually become unsafe, because it is what happens from the point of opening on that matters. Companies will always choose to err on the side of caution, and their bottom line.

Your best defense is to educate yourself on food safety until you feel comfortable about which labels to follow and which to ignore.
+1 Not to mention that companies will go out of business if people don't buy their products because they don't taste good.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Amen!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
+1 Not to mention that companies will go out of business if people don't buy their products because they don't taste good.
But does that matter to us ? In a discussion about Food Safety ?

I understand your point, of course.....but not sure of its relevance to this thread. Unless you have a lot of shares in the Big Business Food sector ?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Sure. Exactly. And that's what I'm trying to do. It's partly why I asked the question. But not finding it easy to get good answers !

If you're saying that I have to find out through experience, and trial and error, [like everyone else !].....OK. Fair enough.

And thanks for your everyone's advice. Maybe it was a bad question. There are no 'short-cuts' !!
Old 04-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #17
Head Chef

My thinking is that they are probably using less preservatives (which I welcome) and so the fresher product does not last so long and needs refrigerating. I notice it in some low sugar jams and don't mind it's shorter life if it means the product is more fruity than sugary.

It pays to have a system so as not to have to throw stuff away. I jot down the dates they should be used up by on a calendar so can be reminded that I need to use it up. I hate to throw out food.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
My thinking is that they are probably using less preservatives (which I welcome) and so the fresher product does not last so long and needs refrigerating. I notice it in some low sugar jams and don't mind it's shorter life if it means the product is more fruity than sugary.

It pays to have a system so as not to have to throw stuff away. I jot down the dates they should be used up by on a calendar so can be reminded that I need to use it up. I hate to throw out food.
Thankyou. And I quite agree with everything you've said. I also have little stickers with dates on stuff.....even stuff I've cooked and frozen !!
What I'm trying to understand is what controls these dates that are on food products, as there doesn't seem to be any conformity behind it all. I'm sure there is, and that's what I'm trying to understand. I don't necessarily trust something as being Gospel, just because it;s printed on the packet.

Call me cynical if you wish, but I suspect 'other' motives behind some of these 'use by' dates.

Mustard is a good example. Since the start of the Second World War I have always just kept in on a shelf, and used it for years until the pot is empty.
Suddenly I see it must be 'Refrigerated after opening'. Since when ? Are they making it differently ? Which elements does it contain that can 'go off' ?

And presumably there must be a common factor amongst those foods that can become 'dangerous'. I just feel that it would be advantageous to know what these are. That's all.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt-toast View Post
But does that matter to us ? In a discussion about Food Safety ?

I understand your point, of course.....but not sure of its relevance to this thread. Unless you have a lot of shares in the Big Business Food sector ?
Well, maybe not to you, but it matters to me. Re: "shares in the Big Business Food sector?" You're way too cynical. I'm done trying to answer your questions.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Well, maybe not to you, but it matters to me. Re: "shares in the Big Business Food sector?" You're way too cynical. I'm done trying to answer your questions.
That was a joke. We are obviously not on the same wavelength !