"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-25-2015, 04:32 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Refrigerate after Opening, & use within 10 Mins

Well.....maybe not quite as bad as that. But more and more I am seeing these messages on food containers that may have stood happily on Supermarket shelves for months, totally uncooled.

So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time ?

I have a genuine reason for asking this, because, as you all know, it is far more economical to buy a large tin/pot/jar/container of just about anything than it is to buy a small one.

And I am also totally prepared to believe that there are many products to which this sort of message would genuinely apply. Dairy based produce springs to mind.

But now I am seeing it on the most unlikely [ to me, anyway] of things. Thai Chilli Sauce. Farmhouse Pickle. Mustard. Apricot Chutney !!

So I am keen to find out just what it is about opening something that leads to these 'new' rules applying. Is it because it has been exposed to air ? And therefore, is cold air [ refrigerated] safer than warmer air ?

In the case of my 1KG Jar of Thai Chilli sauce, [ which I didn't notice had to be consumed within 3 weeks until I was home !] would it be safe to decant it into 4 x 250gm jars, full to the brim, and tightly screw the tops on ?

That is just a particular case in point, but am keen to find out the general principles behind it all.

I sometimes think that some manufacturers take advantage of the stricter rules and regs just to increase the sales of their own products.....but, of course, I could be wrong. I frequently am !

But the more I can find out from reliable sauces, [ sorry....couldn't resist it ] the better.

Many thanks.

Old 04-25-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt-toast View Post
Well.....maybe not quite as bad as that. But more and more I am seeing these messages on food containers that may have stood happily on Supermarket shelves for months, totally uncooled.

So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time ?

I have a genuine reason for asking this, because, as you all know, it is far more economical to buy a large tin/pot/jar/container of just about anything than it is to buy a small one.

And I am also totally prepared to believe that there are many products to which this sort of message would genuinely apply. Dairy based produce springs to mind.

But now I am seeing it on the most unlikely [ to me, anyway] of things. Thai Chilli Sauce. Farmhouse Pickle. Mustard. Apricot Chutney !!

So I am keen to find out just what it is about opening something that leads to these 'new' rules applying. Is it because it has been exposed to air ? And therefore, is cold air [ refrigerated] safer than warmer air ?

In the case of my 1KG Jar of Thai Chilli sauce, [ which I didn't notice had to be consumed within 3 weeks until I was home !] would it be safe to decant it into 4 x 250gm jars, full to the brim, and tightly screw the tops on ?

That is just a particular case in point, but am keen to find out the general principles behind it all.

I sometimes think that some manufacturers take advantage of the stricter rules and regs just to increase the sales of their own products.....but, of course, I could be wrong. I frequently am !

But the more I can find out from reliable sauces, [ sorry....couldn't resist it ] the better.

Many thanks.
"So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time?" Fear of being sued?

Seriously, though could you freeze the jars that you don't need? Or can them?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:07 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
"So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time?" Fear of being sued?

Seriously, though could you freeze the jars that you don't need? Or can them?
The main reason is companies have discovered that the new push to put dates on everything allows them to to suggest that a product should be used by a certain date or time from opening. These dates and times are only based on potential loss of food quality or taste and not based on health reasons.

Use the same method you used before to determine what to keep and what to throw out.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Once you open a sealed container, it becomes contaminated from microbes floating in the air (doesn't matter whether it's warm or cold), or on a utensil you've used to remove some of the item from the container. More acidic ingredients (citrus juice, vinegar, etc.) can prevent mold, etc., from growing for a while, but less acidic items will go bad faster.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Once you open a sealed container, it becomes contaminated from microbes floating in the air (doesn't matter whether it's warm or cold), or on a utensil you've used to remove some of the item from the container. More acidic ingredients (citrus juice, vinegar, etc.) can prevent mold, etc., from growing for a while, but less acidic items will go bad faster.
Thanks for that. So is it all about mold growth ?

And if it doesn't make any difference whether it's warm or cold, why does everything have to be 'Refrigerated after Opening' ?

Also, if it's about exposure to air, then surely a tall thin container would be a lot safer than a short fat one ? [Talking about decanting]...especially if filled to the brim and well sealed ?

Finally....can you freeze EVERYTHING ?

Cheers.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
These dates and times are only based on potential loss of food quality or taste and not based on health reasons.
I'm sure you are right, but surely it should be the 'Health and Safety' factor that these things should be based on ?

If something doesn't taste quite so good, but is not dangerous, what does it matter ?

Or maybe there should be 2 Dates.....'Safe Before....', and 'Best Taste Before...' ??

And in many cases there are so many numbers and ingredients, and heaven knows what else on today's packaging, it's hard to see the wood for the trees.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks for that. So is it all about mold growth ?

And if it doesn't make any difference whether it's warm or cold, why does everything have to be 'Refrigerated after Opening' ?

Also, if it's about exposure to air, then surely a tall thin container would be a lot safer than a short fat one ? [Talking about decanting]...especially if filled to the brim and well sealed ?

Finally....can you freeze EVERYTHING ?

Cheers.
No, it's not all about mold growth. That's why I said, "...mold, etc." There are other potentially toxic microbes.

Refrigerate after opening because the cold inhibits bacteria and mold growth.

re: the container: don't know. I'm not a scientist, just someone educated in food safety.

You can freeze everything. Quality after thawing will vary considerably and will affect how you can then use the item.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I'm sure you are right, but surely it should be the 'Health and Safety' factor that these things should be based on ?

If something doesn't taste quite so good, but is not dangerous, what does it matter ?

Or maybe there should be 2 Dates.....'Safe Before....', and 'Best Taste Before...' ??

And in many cases there are so many numbers and ingredients, and heaven knows what else on today's packaging, it's hard to see the wood for the trees.
If something doesn't taste good, people won't buy it again and the company will lose money.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:00 PM   #9
Head Chef

Bacteria grow fastest at room temp, so cooler temps slow the growth of bacteria. Freezing stops the growth of bacteria.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If something doesn't taste good, people won't buy it again and the company will lose money.
I don't care about that. It's the Health and Safety issue these things should be based on. Not a Company's Balance Sheet.

It's opened the door for widespread mis-information just so companies can reduce the time food is OK for, and make more money by re-selling more of the same, before strictly necessary.