"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I remember Mom and Grandma leaving their butter out all the time. And in Mexico, eggs are on huge pallets in the middle of the store, no refrigeration.

Hmm. I always hate tearing my toast with cold butter, may start leaving butter out too.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #32
Master Chef

I think that butter and cheddar cheese both improve when left out.

IMO American sweet cream butter does not have much flavor. If you leave it out to ripen for a few days it begins to taste more like the imported butter made with cream that has been allowed to age and slightly sour.

Growing up we always had a small glass dome with a 1/2 pound of sharp cheddar cheese under it and a butter dish with a stick of butter. Today I don't use much of either and I usually forget to set it out ahead of time.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Eggs stored at room temperature deteriorate seven times faster than refrigerated eggs. That's OK unless you buy a lot of eggs and don't use them before they spoil.

The supermarkets in Aruba used to stack cartons of eggs on the floor in front of the chilled display cases. They didn't bother to put them into the cases until tourists complained.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I love cold butter. Especially on toast, though spreading it can be difficult. I love taking a bite of warm toast with cold butter on it. Heaven.
I really don't butter enough things to warrant keeping some out, even though I know you can.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Cold butter is the best!
Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

All right, I'll put it back in the fridge. Sheesh.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

cold butter has it's merits.

jammed onto the heel of a loaf of crusty italian bread, then dipped into a simmering pot of sunday gravy so the tomato "gravy" partially melts the butter into the bread. you then bite into the rhapsody of nutty crust, cold and melted sweet and salty butter, and rich, savory gravy, all at the same time.

i need a cigarette.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh yeah.
Smooshing some into the heel of Italian bread and dunking it into some red gravy rocks
Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #39
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I recall when I was young, we depended on our farm for many things. The menfolk would go out to the fields, and work....hard. The womenfolk tended to household duties including preparing the mid-day meal...Lunch was called dinner, back then....dinner was called supper. After the noon meal, the leftovers sat right there on the table, covered with a linen cloth...all day. The butter was in a dish right there on the table as well. When I got home from school, I made myself a snack before gong out to do my chores. At the end of the day, those leftovers were reheated (no microwaves in those days) and another pan of biscuits was made. There was not much left after supper and what was left was collected to augment the feed for the hogs the next day.. This routine was followed for as long as I can remember (I am nigh on to 60 now) until most of my aunts and uncles passed away (BTW, they all lived to see their 90th birthday or more.) There was never, that I can recall, a single incident of trouble with the leftovers.
Now, I am certainly not espousing this as the best way.. I am just saying that that is the way things were done back then. I miss those days.

Hang on BT, I will join you for that cigarette.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #40
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I recall when I was young, we depended on our farm for many things. The menfolk would go out to the fields, and work....hard. The womenfolk tended to household duties including preparing the mid-day meal...Lunch was called dinner, back then....dinner was called supper. After the noon meal, the leftovers sat right there on the table, covered with a linen cloth...all day. The butter was in a dish right there on the table as well. When I got home from school, I made myself a snack before gong out to do my chores. At the end of the day, those leftovers were reheated (no microwaves in those days) and another pan of biscuits was made. There was not much left after supper and what was left was collected to augment the feed for the hogs the next day.. This routine was followed for as long as I can remember (I am nigh on to 60 now) until most of my aunts and uncles passed away (BTW, they all lived to see their 90th birthday or more.) There was never, that I can recall, a single incident of trouble with the leftovers.
Now, I am certainly not espousing this as the best way.. I am just saying that that is the way things were done back then. I miss those days.

Hang on BT, I will join you for that cigarette.
I agree with you Hoot!

American's have traded plain old common sense for some pretty strong phobias against dirt, germs etc...