"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-25-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Refrigerator door was open for 9 hours

I can not believe I did this... I went shopping at Costco, bought 143 dollars worth of food.. hurried out the door, and some reason the refrigerator door was left open about 5 inches.. the lights ( 2 bulbs) were on the entire time, and they heated up the refrigerator.. so everything 2 shelves down was just warm.. very warm.. the temperature was about 40 to 45 degrees.... so I ended up throwing brand new steaks, hamburger and stuff out into the garbage.. But I wonder about this brand new block of butter I bought, it was still in the foil, and not melted, it felt cool.. but not cold.. should I toss that also? I am just sick about this. :(

Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Executive Chef

The butter should be ok. The meats might've been ok depending on how long they were in the 40-45 degree range. I'll bet though that they were probably even warmer than that. If it was less than four hours they probably were safe to save provided you threw them in the freezer right away. But then you had no way of knowing that so better safe than sorry.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Debbie,

Believe it or not, when we lived in Egypt, the cook in the staff house where we stayed for the first month, NEVER refrigerated the butter (I guess he used it up so quickly that he didn't need to)-----I didn't discover this until we were left by ourselves for the weekend and found it in a cupboard covered by a bowl. So I don't think 4 hours is anything to worry about.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We take butter with us backpacking all the time... it lasts for three or four days with no cooling.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Executive Chef

The butter is fine the meat was probably ok to.I would have just cooked the meat right away.A good way to check the meat is hold it against your cheek if it still feels really cool it's ok but go ahead and cook it ,freeze and use it in something else later
Old 07-25-2006, 07:24 PM   #6
Head Chef

Many people used to leave butter out in a covered dish on the counter, with no adverse effects.

Believe that the meat was probably fine and we would have just cooked it.

But you have to do what you feel comfortable with.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
Senior Cook

ok.. I won't worry about the butter, its just this couldn't have happened at the most worse time.. getting Married next Wednesday... and I sure didn't want to be sick for the wedding, so I threw most everything in the refrigerator out. * sigh* Thanks guys!!!! :)
Old 07-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

http://www.butterbell.com/
Check it out I have one something like this.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Sous Chef

I always keep my butter at room tempurature under a little glass rectangular lid. Its perfectly fine.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

CONGRATULATIONS, Debbie on your impending marriage. Best of luck and do take a DEEEEEEEEEEEEP breath----if it's any comfort, you are going to have many culinary mishaps along the way and I'm going to give you my mother-in-law's best advice ever-just don't tell anyone and throw the disasters in the garbage. Ha!