"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Reheating leftover chicken soup safe?

Hi i made the chicken stock via a chicken carcass left overs then i boiled it up and added shreds of chicken to my soup , will i be able to heat it up again when i want to warm my soup up.

I take it , that its safe

Old 11-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Reheating soup the next day (or so) is not an issue. Leaving the soup at room temperature for extended periods is. So, if you make the soup, eat it and refrigerate ther leftovers then reheat the leftovers the next day, you should be OK.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Senior Cook

the carcass was frozen i defrosted it and boiled it and left the soup out so it cooled for 2hrs to room temp then refrigrated it. I will have ot reheat my portion again tommorrow will this be ok
Old 11-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #4
Head Chef

I am not qualified to answer this but I have done just what you did.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Senior Cook

cool thought so
Old 11-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Yes that will be OK.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklord1 View Post
the carcass was frozen i defrosted it and boiled it and left the soup out so it cooled for 2hrs to room temp then refrigrated it. I will have ot reheat my portion again tommorrow will this be ok
That's ok, but it is highly recommended that you cool your stock much more quickly. It's easy to do with a water bath or with bottles of frozen water.

Once the stock comes down to 140 degrees the bacteria start infecting it.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Master Chef

Your stock will be just fine cooling it as you did. No need for baths or frozen water. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it never ceases to amaze me the lengths to which some folks now insist we go to re: things like cooling down stock or soup. Procedures that for many years never did anyone any harm.

I think that's one reason why so many people (definitely not me) are so very sensitive to natural bacteria these days. If you live in a glass bubble, don't stick your toe out. . . .
Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Your stock will be just fine cooling it as you did. No need for baths or frozen water. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it never ceases to amaze me the lengths to which some folks now insist we go to re: things like cooling down stock or soup. Procedures that for many years never did anyone any harm.

I think that's one reason why so many people (definitely not me) are so very sensitive to natural bacteria these days. If you live in a glass bubble, don't stick your toe out. . . .

Of course everyone's approach to food safety is different.

Here's one of America's most respected food scientists on why it's so important to cool homemade stock quickly.

"Let me emphasize, then, that it is indeed essential for safety's sake to cool your stock as quickly as possible to prevent the growth of bacteria." Robert Wolke

It's so easy to cool it quickly with a water bath or with ice. The risk/reward with just letting it sit out for hours doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Procedures that for many years never did anyone any harm.
I would love to see your proof of this. How can you possibly say that no one was ever harmed by those procedures?

Food poisoning can only be confirmed by a blood test. it is highly likely that many people had gotten sick from poor food practices and just attributed it to something else. There is no such thing as a 24 hour flu, yet you always here people saying that is what they have. It is possible that very often those people who have a "24 hour flu" actually have mild food poisoning and do not even realize it.