"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-27-2009, 03:33 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Welcome casselc, I see you are just up the road from me, enjoy this site, it is really friendly and knowledgeable. But you have to watch out for the Kitchenelf she'll take out behind the wood shed if you don't behave!

Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 PM   #12
Senior Cook

That is what I thought, My Boss asked about it, I was just preventing a I TOLD YOU SO event.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #13
Head Chef

I have a marinade for a barbq london broil which has ketchup, horseradish, mustard, vingar, lil liq smoke etc. you marniade overnite and then boil the marinade to serve with it. and baste as cooking on the grill. been doing it for years with out and problem. I don't reuse any marinade with chicken.
Now you got me thinking, I think Ill double the marinade recipe and not use the marinade anymore. It is really good. I will look it up so I can give exact measurements and post it.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
Head Chef

I posted the recipe for the barbq london broil in meat
Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #15
Master Chef

DO it often, an no one has gotten so much as a belly-ache from it. Not saying it can't happen, and TV chefs have to CYA a lot. For me it is my soy-sauce based marinade that I use for beef mostly (sort of Kal-Bi rib type, for those familiar). I take the marinade into the kitchen while the meat is grilling, boil it, and pour back over the meat and rice (or other starch), and if I have time, I might thicken it with a cornstarch based slurry. I know anything can happen, but seriously, you are already eating this sauce. I once was rushed for time and was just going to toss the marinade out, and a sister rescued it and used it as was (it was beef, not pork or chicken, where I'd have slapped her silly).
Old 07-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #16
Head Chef

The problems occur when people use the marinade after it's had time -- probably several hours or days -- for the bacteria to grow and produce toxins. I think that if you heat it and use it reasonably promptly after removing the meat you shouldn't have any problems. It's the improper handling that makes people sick, not the food itself.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
Master Chef

I don't save leftover marinade for another use, & do believe this is an unsafe practice, but I frequently do immediately reduce it down to use as a sauce for the meat it was marinated in. There's absolutely nothing wrong or unsafe in that.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
I don't save leftover marinade for another use, & do believe this is an unsafe practice, but I frequently do immediately reduce it down to use as a sauce for the meat it was marinated in. There's absolutely nothing wrong or unsafe in that.
And it tastes good!
Old 07-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
Master Chef

I guess I'm assuming a fair amount of freshness and basic food safety. Jet, have you ever read Ruth Reichel's first book? I think it was Tender at the Bone. She talks about trying to save friends and relatives from her mother's very unsafe cooking practices and it had me in stitches, although it really isn't a very funny story, all in all. Reusing shake-n-bake? Oh dearie me.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

I was actually surprised when I first read you have to throw the marinade after soaking the meat in it for some time because growing up, my mother would use some of it for the sauce in food such as steaks. In short, we've tried using and reusing the marinade. I guess it's okay.