"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Reheating marinades

On Food Channel Next Food Network Star, one contestant talked about marinading something then saving the marinade and then putting it in a pot, bring it to a boil, then simmering it to reduce it, then using it as a dipping sauce. i have read receipts that call for this. Tyler Florance jumped all over the contestant, asking if she was trying to kill them? Implying that the marinade was contaminated and even boiling it would change that fact. Is there any truth to this, like I said I have done this my self and have seen many recipe that call for it. Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
Head Chef

I imagine that would depend on what has contaminated the marinade. It's not just bacteria that can make you sick, but the toxic waste some types of bacteria leave behind.

For example, botulism. The bacterium responsible for botulism isn't harmful, but if allowed to flourish in the right environment, the litter buggers create a very toxic substance. Reheat will kill the germs but not the toxin they've created (unless you boil the stuff for something like 20 minutes). Eating food contaminated with the toxin can lead to paralysis and, in severe cases, death.

Perhaps that's what Tyler had in mind.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Head Chef

I've seen tons of recipes that say it's ok, but I've never tried it. I think Scotch may be on to something. Of course I've done other things that weren't really advisable and I'm still alive. Lol!
Old 06-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

IF you are marinating a meat in the fridge then remove the meat and start reducing the marinade, I don't see a problem. If you leave it around for a couple of hours at room temp then use it, that would be a problem.

Whatever is in the marinade is in the meat too. If the meat is OK to eat, so is the marinade.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Head Chef

IMHO, that was pure COVER OUR BUTTS talking there.

Wouldnt the botulism in the marinade be on the food that was in it anyway?
Old 06-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
IF you are marinating a meat in the fridge then remove the meat and start reducing the marinade, I don't see a problem. If you leave it around for a couple of hours at room temp then use it, that would be a problem.

Whatever is in the marinade is in the meat too. If the meat is OK to eat, so is the marinade.
Undoubtedly true, as is the reverse.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
IMHO, that was pure COVER OUR BUTTS talking there.

Wouldnt the botulism in the marinade be on the food that was in it anyway?
Not if the marinade is stored for some time and then reused -- the botulism or whatever might develop during storage. Just speculating.

I can't imagine anyone reusing marinade.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I absolutely agree. I frequently use the reserved marinade to make a pan sauce while I'm resting steaks. Probably just a CYA move no the network's part.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I can't imagine anyone reusing marinade.
My mother used to reuse Shake-n-Bake. It's a miracle no one died!
Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
On Food Channel Next Food Network Star, one contestant talked about marinading something then saving the marinade and then putting it in a pot, bring it to a boil, then simmering it to reduce it, then using it as a dipping sauce. i have read receipts that call for this. Tyler Florance jumped all over the contestant, asking if she was trying to kill them? Implying that the marinade was contaminated and even boiling it would change that fact. Is there any truth to this, like I said I have done this my self and have seen many recipe that call for it. Thanks
I thought it was particularly strange given that a few hours before I saw the episode I watched Tyler and Alton Brown reuse a marinade on All-Star Grillfest: South Beach while making Mahi-Mahi (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/grilled-mahi-mahi-ceviche-style-recipe/index.html)