"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I thought NYC did something like that?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:25 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
Good to see this sort of information is publicly available in other places. Very interesting the TV channel version. That would make interesting viewing.
Not if you recently ate there

Old 07-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #13
Master Chef

Where I live - our county includes 50 cities - 46 use the county health inspectors, 4 use their own. All have searchable websites that list the latest inspection results ... not just a number but exactly what they got demerits for.

I think the local newspaper also has an article on one day each week listing the worst of the worst - but I haven't taken the paper in years so I don't know if they still do that or not.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:13 AM   #14
Senior Cook

In Lancaster we have weekly write-ups in the news paper about inspections and listed infractions. They used to give a score too but they stopped that. Impossible to get a perfect score! My restaurant got 3 points off because there was a steel wool pad on the floor during the middle of service! I mean come on! Thats why we clean the floors every night!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #15
Sous Chef

oh man i bought some fish tonight from one of the places listed...ick yuk ewwwww \
thanks for the list!

just had another look, it was to do with their license ..phew lol
Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Master Chef

Restaurants in Los Angeles County are required to post health grade certificates in their front windows.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #17
Senior Cook

wow..........that is pretty extreme. Do u notice difference in prices because of that?
Old 07-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodOnTheBlade View Post
wow..........that is pretty extreme. Do u notice difference in prices because of that?
No, none whatsoever.
Although many hole-in-the-wall type eateries with B or even a C grade seem to have the best tasting food....

But on the other hand, a restaurant owner can "buy" an A grade from the health inspector, I would imagine.....
Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #19
Master Chef

I know that Houston has a site............and we used to have Marvin Zindler.......Eyewitness News......... he would go around and personally inspect restaurants offending city ordinances and feature them on the show........his famous slammer? Slime in the ice machine!!! Houston's famous food warrior unfortunately passed away last year..........I know that the food kitchen that I worked in for the poor was absolutely spotless........there was not a speck of dirt anywhere.........we worked hard to make that place spotless..........and not to have "Slime in the ice machine" :)
Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Restaurants in Los Angeles County are required to post health grade certificates in their front windows.

Same in Clark County in Vegas. Big, bold letters ABor C, but who looks at them? I never do, I should but I never do. Gotta pay closer attention. There are a couple of Chinese restaurants that are cited every month, like clockwork. I don't think they get it. The violations are serious some to the point of closing the restaurants but they continue to open again, operate, get written up and repeat. The public still eats there. AAACCCKKKK.