"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Senior Cook

this one time, i bought a big 25lb bag of rice, some of which i ate almost everyday....so a few days in, i found an entire UNCOOKED chicken breast in the bag....not very safe at all! i was lucky to not get sick! true story.

so i can see why rice is so dangerous

Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
this one time, i bought a big 25lb bag of rice, some of which i ate almost everyday....so a few days in, i found an entire UNCOOKED chicken breast in the bag....not very safe at all! i was lucky to not get sick! true story.

GOOD LORD!

Old 06-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post

Perhaps you should consider decanting your rice into vessels like one gallon wine or vinegar jugs or large mayo jars?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Not washing hands is the leading cause of food poisoning, but when the cause is the food itself I remember reading somewhere (I do not recall where) that rice is the leading culprit by far out of any other food.
Yeap, you right, raw chicken is even behind rice.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Actually, there are two types of food intoxication associated with this organism. The one associated with Rice is called Emetic and its symptoms are vomiting, and abdominal cramps. It is caused by a heat stable toxin that is formed on the food and has an onset of 1-6 hours from ingestion. It is also called short-incubation

The other type is "long incubation", its symptoms are cramps and severe diarrhea. It is caused by a heat liable toxin and has an 8-16 hour onset. Like Clostridium perfringins, it is caused by a toxin that is formed in the intestines after ingestion of sufficient organisms. It is often associated with cooked vegetables, and has been found on up to 50% of dried beans and 25% of dried foods like potatoes and spices.

This in not a real common food poisoning, at least based on outbreaks reported to the CDC. But then it's not required to be reported

So as said earlier, don't think that rice is more dangerous than other foods if not properly handled after cooking because it isn't.

Tags
food poisoning, rice