"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-11-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Yep - same thing ... when you see the little currents in the oil moving it's ready to go. You'll probably see this referred to as "seeing the oil shimmer".
Thanks. I assumed that much but wanted to confirm it with someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Just like with your brussels sprouts - I'm 99% certain that was not smoke - it was steam. And, yes, steam is normal.
Is there any way to differentiate between steam and smoke? My guess is that if something is on medium heat or lower and it's something low in moisture, say a peanut, and there's smoke, then it's probably smoke; if however it's a vegetable on medium heat and there's smoke, it's probably steam due to it's moisture content.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Master Chef

I read this tip in a cooking advice column years ago and have found it to be helpful----you know the oil is ready when you dip in a clean dry wooden spoon and it sizzles (bubbles) at the end of the spoon.....then it's ready.........works for me...........

Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

hello

thanks.

The smoke point of various olive oils difffers based on how refined it is, so charts don't always help. This is true for oils other than olive, too.
--------
Italian Olive Oil
Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Below is a general guide to the frying temperatures for various types of food using olive oil

Medium Temperature, 266-293F - The best type of food fried at this temperature is food with a high water content, like vegetables, potatoes and fruit

Hot Temperature, 311-338F - Food covered in batter, flour or breadcrumbs are good in fried at this temperature.

Very Hot Temperature, 347-375F - Small, quickly fried foods, like small fish and foods like croquettes, or "croquetas."

You can try using the T-Fal Pan it has an indicator that when the light turns red the pan is ready to use.

Hope this helps

Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I'm always a little weary when I hear to avoid XYZ because of carcinogens. I'd imagine that most of what we come into contact with every day contains carcinogens. I think that using traditional recipes and cooking styles from countries where the people usually don't have cancer problems is sufficient.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

How about in the oven?

Hello. I found this this thread doing a search on google. I am pretty new to cooking as well.

One of my favorite things to do is to slather olive or canola oil all over chicken breasts or salmon, sprinkle some pepper and salt on them, and throw it in the oven and bake/roast them. As the oven gets quite hot, is there any danger that the oil will "smoke" and become carcinogenic as well? Thanks.

Lao
Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Canola smokes at well over 400 F. Olive oil has various smoke points from 375 F for good extra virgin oil. Lower grade oils have higher smoke points. If you're roasting at 350 F, there should be no problem. With the canola, you could go to 400 F.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 AM   #18
Head Chef

I don't know about all of you, but my whole family would have been gone long ago. The reason being that my mother fried, roasted, boiled everything to a fare thee well. Just forget about the carcinogen threat and enjoy good food prepared the way you like it.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Dang, I've been roasting at 450
Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

But, like, even when you set the temperature of the oven to like, 400 degrees, that doesn't necessarily mean whatever you are cooking gets up to that temperature, right? Because if you use a thermometer to gauge the outside of the meat, it never hits 400 degrees. Isn't that the same thing when it comes to the oil?