"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Safe for ham to sit out for 1.5 hours?

I have a recipe that tells me to let a ham (9 lb.) sit out at room temperature for one and a half hours before putting it into the oven. Is this safe? Or should I cut the time back a little bit? What do you think?

Old 03-23-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Master Chef

Don't know how safe it is, but the ham I cooked yesterday sat out that long if not more. It was still cool to the touch when it went into the oven.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Ham is pretty heavily salted. Maybe that's the difference. Bacteria can't grow as quickly?
Old 03-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

If it is still in it's air tight packaging while sitting out it should be okay. Yes, the salt and the curing do help ham and other such meats fight off bacteria. Also, the cooking will get rid of anything left.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I think you're pretty safe. Have a good dinner!!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Your ham is perfectly safe at room temp for a couple of hours.

It's not at all unusual to bring roasts or hams to room temperature (or close to it) before roasting to allow for more even cooking of the meat. This take at least a couple of hours. It's a good idea for all meats but steaks and such don't need as long to warm up.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
If it is still in it's air tight packaging while sitting out it should be okay. Yes, the salt and the curing do help ham and other such meats fight off bacteria. Also, the cooking will get rid of anything left.
This is mostly incorrect. The fact that it is in an airtight package does not mean that you can not get food poisoning from it. If that were the case then you would never need to refrigerate meats that have been vacuum sealed.

The amount of salt in the ham will not keep you from getting sick either. Again, if it did then you would not need to refrigerate it.

The good news is that 1.5 hours is still within a safe amount of time to leave meat out. The general rule of thumb is that you don't want to leave things in the danger zone (40-140 degrees F) for more than 2 hours.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:46 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

gb, i'm curious. isn't the reason for salting meats to extend their shelf life?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Salt is a preservative, but only if used in certain quantities (enough to remove moisture). The reason for the salt in the ham is for flavor. It is possible (I do not know for sure) that the salt in the ham might extend the shelf life a little, but not a ton. You still need to refrigerate it regardless of the fact that it is salted, unlike something like salt cod that has had enough salt to make refrigeration unnecessary.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This is mostly incorrect. The fact that it is in an airtight package does not mean that you can not get food poisoning from it. If that were the case then you would never need to refrigerate meats that have been vacuum sealed.

The amount of salt in the ham will not keep you from getting sick either. Again, if it did then you would not need to refrigerate it.

The good news is that 1.5 hours is still within a safe amount of time to leave meat out. The general rule of thumb is that you don't want to leave things in the danger zone (40-140 degrees F) for more than 2 hours.
My mistake and thanks for correcting me GB. I was going by what I know about cured meats (such as beef jerky and dry pepperoni). There are some types of ham that are also cured enough to not need refrigerating. I was only meaning that it would help protect in the short, not long term.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote