"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-30-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
JustJoel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,668
Safety of raw meats

How safe is it to consume raw beef, compared to fish or chicken? Is carpaccio as safe or safer than, say, halibut sashimi? Which has less capacity to get you sick, beef tartare or ahi poke?

__________________

__________________
Dance like no one’s watching, sing like no one’s listening, but cook like EVERYONE is eating!
https://justjoel59.wordpress.com
JustJoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:25 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,161
We've eaten raw fish and raw beef and don't consider one safer than the other, the key factor is freshness. My father and older brother would eat raw ground beef straight from the grocery store. Sandwich bread, ground beef, thick slice of raw onion, salt and pepper. I never partook of that sandwich.
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus and C. batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,982
I wouldn't eat tartare to begin with because it reminds me too much of things I saw when I would assist in surgery, which is why I will only eat burgers that are medium at minimum. But if I did, it would be from meat I ground up myself at home. Like Craig wrote though, we do eat carpaccio, tuna sushi/sashimi, various ceviches/crudos, very, very rare beef like beef tataki, etc.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 2,439
Here's a simple explanation, and then you can decide how much risk you want to take.

Sushi and Raw Beef: Why Can't I Eat Raw Meat? | Time
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, Va
Posts: 1,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
How safe is it to consume raw beef, compared to fish or chicken? Is carpaccio as safe or safer than, say, halibut sashimi? Which has less capacity to get you sick, beef tartare or ahi poke?
I won't eat store bought ground beef raw, but will make tartare with chopped meat I chop myself. Any pre ground meat is subject to too many indeterminents for my comfort.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 446
Tenspeed's link has all the right answers. No ground meat is safe under 165 degrees even if you chop it at home. Freshness has nothing to do with pathogenic bacteria; either it is there or it isn't.
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 22,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Tenspeed's link has all the right answers. No ground meat is safe under 165 degrees even if you chop it at home. Freshness has nothing to do with pathogenic bacteria; either it is there or it isn't.
Freshness has a little to do with it - the longer a cut of meat or fish sits around, the more the pathogens reproduce. The more pathogens, the higher the likelihood of getting sick, or the more severe the sickness can be.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
How safe is it to consume raw beef, compared to fish or chicken? Is carpaccio as safe or safer than, say, halibut sashimi? Which has less capacity to get you sick, beef tartare or ahi poke?
Raw or under-cooked chicken should never be eaten.

If I was going to eat raw fish I'd want it to be spanking fresh ie it smelled of the sea NOT of fish!! A "fishy" smell is indicative of fish that is not fresh

I like very rare steak but I'd only eat it like that if I knew its provenance. I would never eat raw minced beef (eg steak tartare) unless I'd minced/ground it myself immediately before the meal.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Freshness has a little to do with it - the longer a cut of meat or fish sits around, the more the pathogens reproduce. The more pathogens, the higher the likelihood of getting sick, or the more severe the sickness can be.
Except that pathogens don't reproduce if held at proper tempts. They are not killed if present, but they don't reproduce.
mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #10
Senior Cook
 
mozart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Raw or under-cooked chicken should never be eaten.

If I was going to eat raw fish I'd want it to be spanking fresh ie it smelled of the sea NOT of fish!! A "fishy" smell is indicative of fish that is not fresh

I like very rare steak but I'd only eat it like that if I knew its provenance. I would never eat raw minced beef (eg steak tartare) unless I'd minced/ground it myself immediately before the meal.
Rare steak is not a problem because, as the above link explains, bacteria is not in the muscle, it is on the surface of cut meats if present. When you grind meats, that surface bacteria gets mixed in the inside of the burger or whatever. Grinding meat at home, and eating at less than fully cooked is probably safer than store bought, but not really safe unless you use a large cut and only grind after trimming off some of the outside.
__________________

mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
meat

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.