Safety oven mitts or pot holders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
I need something for that extra hot dutch oven , I've been using 3 layers of pot holders each to lift out the dutch oven out of the oven, after it's been in there at 450-500 degrees . What you you suggest?

Any recommendations on oven mitts? I am looking into extra length mitts that can withstand heat up to 550 degrees. I googled and it seems silicone is best. What do you say?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with YT. You want those silver gloves that foundry workers use :LOL:

Hey, you trying to break 1000 posts in a month's time ;)
Love all the topics you come up with :)

Which temperature scale are you on? I assume Fahrenheit.

I don't use silicone - a good quality fabric one with a good thermal layer will do/

They aren't very long, but I use Ove' Gloves. They work really well. You can't walk all over the house with a hot dish (not that you'd want to!), but to take something to the oven and walk to the table with it they protect you from the heat. I also have a silicone "pot holder" (can't think of the name of it, but it is circular), which will keep the heat from your hands very well, but it is slightly less flexible than the gloves.

:)Barbara

Which temperature scale are you on? I assume Fahrenheit.

I don't use silicone - a good quality fabric one with a good thermal layer will do/
yes Fahrenheit. I need good mitts for taking out a dutch oven out of the oven. Pizza and some breads bake at 500 degrees and up.

They aren't very long, but I use Ove' Gloves. They work really well. You can't walk all over the house with a hot dish (not that you'd want to!), but to take something to the oven and walk to the table with it they protect you from the heat. I also have a silicone "pot holder" (can't think of the name of it, but it is circular), which will keep the heat from your hands very well, but it is slightly less flexible than the gloves.

Barbara
I need the extra length , since I am short and my arms tend to hit the oven rack:ohmy: even with the rack pulled out. I need the mitts for the dutch oven , that is a heavy pot .

I have to agree with YT. You want those silver gloves that foundry workers use

Hey, you trying to break 1000 posts in a month's time ;)
Love all the topics you come up with
:)thanks for the tip about foundry worker gloves. As for the topics , well I need to know stuff . ;)
1000 posts in a month, now that is a goal to strive for :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
:)thanks for the tip about foundry worker gloves :LOL:. As for the topics , well I need to know stuff . ;)
Hey, 1000 posts in a month isn't impossible. I did it at another board but it's too embarassing to say what we were talking about. :ROFLMAO:

For people in the US 550 isn't too bad since it's Fahrenheit. :) The "ov-glove" at WalMart actually really works well. Expensive but it works. I have the good fortune of living in NASCAR country and we have a few shops that sell "pit crew" cloves that resist heat like crazy.

cg_bowtou.gif

Hey, 1000 posts in a month isn't impossible. I did it at another board but it's too embarassing to say what we were talking about. :ROFLMAO:

For people in the US 550 isn't too bad since it's Fahrenheit. :) The "ov-glove" at WalMart actually really works well. Expensive but it works. I have the good fortune of living in NASCAR country and we have a few shops that sell "pit crew" cloves that resist heat like crazy.
hmm wonder if the Nascar shop near me has them? I live near the racetrack in Pa. :), well about 1/2 hr. , is that near? :LOL: When I bought my dutch oven, I didn't think to look for oven mitts, duh. I had to use 3 layers of pot holders to lift out the dutchoven from the oven.

I'm hoping I can still find my "hooky thing" when I make that bread tomorrow.

Lady,
I would put it onto a baking sheet (I use the heavy commercial "half-sheets" 6 bucks each at restaurant supply houses) and then use BBQ gloves to lift it out. Welders gloves would prob work as well.

Lady,
I would put it onto a baking sheet (I use the heavy commercial "half-sheets" 6 bucks each at restaurant supply houses) and then use BBQ gloves to lift it out. Welders gloves would prob work as well.
I don't about the baking sheet method, because my DO is 6 qt and heavy for me as it is. I would be afraid the DO would slide off and burn me:ohmy:

Did this post change????? :huh:
Where's YT's and mine's responses?

I use potholders that came from a restaurant supply store. You might check one of those places.

I can't use the silicone mitts/gloves because none of them are big enough to fit my hands. However, I think I would find them awkward and restrictive anyway.

Lady, your two threads have been merged since they discuss a common topic.

Now, back to your program, already in progress.:)

Whew.
What little sanity I have left just came back. I've been looking around trying to find the post YT and I said something relatively close together, then couldn't find the one I had just replied to :wacko:
It was like the Twilight Zone......

Whew.
What little sanity I have left just came back. I've been looking around trying to find the post YT and I said something relatively close together, then couldn't find the one I had just replied to :wacko:
It was like the Twilight Zone......
humming Twilight Zone theme...

I use potholders that came from a restaurant supply store. You might check one of those places.

I can't use the silicone mitts/gloves because none of them are big enough to fit my hands. However, I think I would find them awkward and restrictive anyway.

I have small hands , there's a restaurant supply about 45 min away.

Back
Top Bottom