Safety question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

easyrider

Assistant Cook
Help! I have a stack of post oak and mesquite wood that I use for smoking and inadvertantly, the stack was sprayed by the pest control man during his routine outside spray. I've been letting the wood sit for several weeks and it has rained numerous times on it. But the question is....is it safe to use for smoking? I use a Tejas smoker with the fire box located to the side of the grilling area. I presume the effects of the spray diminish over time, but I'd like to have another opinion. Thanks.:chef:

Hi there ER,
Personally I wouldn't trust it. When in doubt throw it out, it's just not worth getting sick over.

I would call the manufacturer of the spray. Call the exterminator service and tell them what happened and that you need the maker of it to call.

Easyrider .... Check with your pest control company as to exactly what insecticide(s) were sprayed on the wood...Ask their opinion?? --- Don't just take their opinion -- talk to someone else who may have an opposing idea. Insecticides don't last forever -- For example - I have one that can be sprayed on "Greens" (turnip mustard, collards etc) and be harvested for market 24 hours later. What's on your wood may not be that way.... I hope you are burning the wood down almost to pure coals to get the sweetest smoke anyway...so that process alone may solve all of your problems. Think about Charcoal --- Most of it has a built in "lighter' in it to make it light quicker plus many people squirt on the liquid lighter too...yet when burned to "coals" it is used to grill foods etc. In the end it is your call --- If you can't get happy with it...Do what JohnL suggested...toss it, and replace it.

Have Fun!

I am with Uncle Bob. If you are burning it down to coals before exposing the food to it, I think you are ok. If you are chipping it up and tossing it into the fire to smoke the food--then I would not use it.

Back
Top Bottom