"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 06-10-2008, 07:47 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Remember those 2/$1 28-oz cans we used to frequently see on sale - nobody around here has had those since then.
I still get them here cheaper than that.

Quote:
actually Florida is one of the states that has NOT been cleared as a potential source.
That's what I read also. Some of the major food purveyors are still leaving it up to the individual buyers to decide. So, he'll have to explain to the customers why there is no T on the BLT. Or, because it's not a recall, do you inform the customers and let them make their own decision? On the other hand , if they get a tummy ache, from whatever, it WILL be your fault.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #22
Head Chef

I guess I am finding it hard to understand why grocers who have sold the tainted tomatoes do not know where they came from? Or do they not yet know who sold the tomatoes that the sick people ate?

Old 06-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Florida tomatoes are safe:

HeraldTribune.com - Breaking news - Business - - HeraldTribune.com
Old 06-10-2008, 08:29 PM   #24
Sous Chef

I think my family got contaminated by Salmonella, actually. I don't know if it was the tomatoes or strawberries, but we were sick for awhile, and my son had it the longest. Several families in my neighborhood were sick the same weekend (small town, we all shop at the same store). We got the salmonella memo after the fact and I wonder if it was that instead of the nasty flu I thought it was.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 PM   #25
Head Chef

Well, it's looking more and more like the nasties might have come from Mexico. I wonder if the tomatoes they export and the tomatoes we buy here (which are grown locally) are similarly affected? The health reporter on the Today Show this morning said the contamination might have occurred at any point in the distribution chain, not necessarily at the point of origin. So I think we will continue to eat tomatoes. If I disappear for a few days, you'll all know why.....
Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 PM   #26
Executive Chef

I read to be extra safe on the tomatoes you intend to eat is core out the vine side and the bottom its the hard parts that carry the brunt of bacteria. I'm wondering if the salmonela is only on the outside of tomato if so could you not dip tomatoes in boiling water to kill it?
Old 06-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
At least they were being responsible. The problem seems to be extensive in the west and southwest with some eastern and southern states effected as well.

I saw a report on TV that said plum/roma and round tomatoes were effected. Cherry tomatos and those with the vines still attached were OK.
Bless you Andy, I just bought about 5 lbs on the vine this weekend and was wondering whether I should pitch them or not. I called the market, but they didn't have an answer for me or perhaps they don't want to refund.

Scary times when you wonder if your food is safe!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Okay, still slightly worried here ... mine just have a tiny Product of USA (yay!) sticker on them. They are on the vine t'maters. Whaddaya think ... safe?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #29
Master Chef

I wouldn't worry since the FDA has ruled out the tomatoes on the vine as being one of the sources of the outbreak. But, here is something you can do if you are still nervous ...

1. DO NOT pluck the tomatoes off the vine
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil
3. Submerge the tomatoes, and the vines, in the boiling water for about 15-30 seconds
4. Remove from the boiling water and submerge into a bowl of ice-water for about 3 minutes

Salmonella is killed at 160F-165F ... this will kill any surface bacteria, and if you do not remove them from the vine first, it will keep salmonella from entering through the "wound" on the stem end when the tomato is removed from the vine.

Of course - this is assuming that the skin of each tomato does not have any cuts, wounds, scabs, etc.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #30
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
OK - Here is my question. When a recall of this sort occurrs, does anyone know how they determine what is and is not affected? Does anyone know if the affected product can, for example, be canned?

It seems to me that the FDA is into big recalls lately, the big hamburger one and now this. Beyons food, the FAA grounted a lot of planes for tie wrap spacing.

On the other hand South Korea is virtually shut down over import of US Beef and Mad Cow disease.

Gotta ask how we know we are really safe?

Jest Askin