"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Head Chef

Salmonella is spreading (peanut butter)

ABC News: As Seen On TV: Consumer Peanut Recall Guide

now pet food is included.

Also, has spread to UK and Canada.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Head Chef

Thank you for the infor. Can you believe this all started back in September?

Old 01-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #3
Sous Chef

NASTY... it seems salmonella is creeping up in all sorts of places ick
Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks for the link, PieSusan. Isn't it just one more thing?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I am going to make my own peanut butter! Salmonella is spread through feces of humans and animals. Makes you wonder what is going on in the peanut fields or at the processing plants. Maybe I'll change that Cashew Butter.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Head Chef

It could be cross-contaminated at any stage along the distribution. ANY food can be contaminated if the circumstances are right.

People should wonder how much of the bacteria they have on their body right now that is cross contaminating a lot of things. I especially love that spray from the toilet that makes sure we don't leave without 'something'.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
It could be cross-contaminated at any stage along the distribution. ANY food can be contaminated if the circumstances are right.

People should wonder how much of the bacteria they have on their body right now that is cross contaminating a lot of things. I especially love that spray from the toilet that makes sure we don't leave without 'something'.

well germs are everywhere and I am not a hand sanitizer nut... I figure the immune system can handle alot... I mean there are nasties everywhere... subway poles.. ick... but I never worry.

The food supply chain is another story though... the creeping salmonella is dangerous... makes me think of a modern day "The Jungle"
Old 01-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Head Chef

I don't know anything about "creeping" Salmonella. A lot of investigation and testing is going on and being reported each time they find something. And of course the consumer starts getting paranoid and will have symptoms (real or imagined) which causes the testing to branch out, and then it takes days for lab testing to be done.....all way too complicated and time consuming, and often without really knowing factually what the true source of the outbreak is. The recent Tomato issue was a good example of this.

Everyone agrees that the situation sucks and has to be changed so that contaminations, accidental, natural, or otherwise, can be detected and stopped at the source before they get into the distribution channels. Its not that many years ago that such mass distribution of foods was even possible, so nobody really anticipated needing complex and expensive testing and controls.

But think about it....you suffer from food poisoning on a regular basis in your own home, though most are minor and short lived. Our immune systems do their job. And the next time you have an upset stomach or a little diarrhea, think about it.....
Old 01-22-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

McNerd is right you can get salmonella at any stage of processing.

We get salmonella by swallowing the bacteria or coming into contact with people or animals that have salmonella. Person to person contact is usually through poor handwashing. Our pets can carry the salmonella bacteria, yes even our cats and dogs. Salmonella is also spread by contaminated water. An example of this would be watering the crops with the same water source that the cattle use.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Senior Cook

My 24 yo son called me yesterday. He ate 3 of the peanut butter cracker things on Saturday and was very sick on Sunday for a short while.