"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #31
Master Chef

No comments here!

Old 03-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
that is worlds away from the subject of this thread!!!

FDA is advocating pregnant women not eat them AT ALL unless reheated...
From the posted link:

How can I reduce my risk?
  • Keep your fridge set at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.
  • Use precooked and ready-to-eat foods as soon as you can.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #33
Head Chef

Ah! So if our fridge is at 40 or below, this thread is pointless!

(I am devil's advocating here, trying to remind us all that many if not most of these
Induce Fear style threads and informational posts are dealing with Extremes and Worst Case Scenarios. Common sense and thoughtfulness should keep us all safe, even if we don't follow the recommendations exactly. devil's advocating is a bad habit of mine.)

Oh I should stop this..

Quote:
As soon as you can
... one day, one week, two weeks.. if you can't eat it sooner, that's cool. LOL
Old 03-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Ah! So if our fridge is at 40 or below, this thread is pointless!

(I am devil's advocating here, trying to remind us all that many if not most of these
Induce Fear style threads and informational posts are dealing with Extremes and Worst Case Scenarios. Common sense and thoughtfulness should keep us all safe, even if we don't follow the recommendations exactly. devil's advocating is a bad habit of mine.)

Oh I should stop this..

... one day, one week, two weeks.. if you can't eat it sooner, that's cool. LOL
Have your fun. No sense looking up facts!

Listeria
Before the 1980's most problems associated with disease caused by Listeria were related to cattle or sheep. This changed with food related outbreaks in Nova Scotia, Massachusetts, California and Texas. As a result of its widespread distribution in the environment, its ability to survive long periods of time under adverse conditions, and its ability to grow at refrigeration temperatures, Listeria is now recognized as an important food-borne pathogen.
Immunocompromised humans such as pregnant women or the elderly are highly susceptible to virulent Listeria. Listeria monocytogenes is the most consistently pathogenic species causing listeriosis. In humans, ingestion of the bacteria may be marked by a flu-like illness or symptoms may be so mild that they go unnoticed. A carrier state can develop. Death is rare in healthy adults; however, the mortality rate may approximate 30 percent in the immunocompromised, new born or very young.
As mentioned earlier Listeria monocytogenes is a special problem since it can survive adverse conditions. It can grow in a pH range of 5.0-9.5 in good growth medium. The organism has survived the pH 5 environment of cottage cheese and ripening cheddar. It is salt tolerant surviving concentrations as high as 30.5 percent for 100 days at 39.2 degrees F, but only 5 days if held at 98.6 degrees F. The key point is that refrigeration temperatures don not stop growth of Listeria. It is capable of doubling in numbers every 1.5 days at 39.5 degrees F. Since high heat, greater than 170 degrees F, will inactivate the Listeria organisms, post-process contamination from environmental sources then becomes a critical control point for many foods. Since Listeria will grow slowly at refrigeration temperatures, product rotation becomes even more important.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #35
Master Chef

People's approach to food safety, like their approach to other safety precautions (seatbelts, helmets, etc.) are a matter of personal choice.

It is, however, a fact that you can harm yourself by these choices.

It's a roll of the dice. You can eat 10 day old cold cuts and be fine. The next time you can be really sick.

Your first case of bloody diarrhea generally makes you more cautious about food safety.

And recall what GB says so often (and rightly) very many cases of what some people think are the flu or food disagreement, are in fact food poisoning.