Sara Moulton gets carried away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That doesn't work with dogs, however. I haven't found ANYTHING my little one won't eat which makes walk times difficult around the garbage bins! He has gotten sick more than once on something that he has seen before we have!

We live across the road from an IDOT (Illinois department of transportation) base, and pile the roadkill up in a big pile until they finally burn it. Chloe dog has made herself sick from eating some of that stuff, so now she just rolls in it. :sick:
A good rub-down with a dryer sheet helps out with the smell.

My cats won't eat anything but dry dog food, but still stalk me when I open a can of tuna or salmon.

In regard to the lunchmeat...a lot depends on what kind it is. To me, the regurgitated turkey and chicken stink when you get'em.
I'll eat balogna that's 2 weeks old, though.

Okay ~ we've digressed. I love you all, but can we not talk about what the dogs eat? BIG SMILE!!

I love my animals, all kitties, and they eat strange things, but can we get past this convo???

:sick:
In regard to the lunchmeat...a lot depends on what kind it is. To me, the regurgitated turkey and chicken stink when you get'em.

:ROFLMAO: That's the real truth.

On that other matter... it does feel a little bit like one is being mocked when quotation marks are put around an offered phrase - as opposed to using the quote back feature... Although.."whiff of offness" may be a mock-worthy phrase. :)

Well I didn't see the program, but my guess is she said "should be eaten" within those time frames as opposed to "are good for only" X days.

The reason is likely due to Listeria;

Fact sheet--Listeria

Since The audience may well be made up of pregnant women and older folks, newborns, and those with compromised immunity, as I believe Andy pointed out, she was just passing on the FDA thinking on these products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I didn't see the program, but my guess is she said "should be eaten" within those time frames as opposed to "are good for only" X days.

The reason is likely due to Listeria;

Fact sheet--Listeria

Since The audience may well be made up of pregnant women and older folks, newborns, and those with compromised immunity, as I believe Andy pointed out, she was just passing on the FDA thinking on these products.

Very good post.

Listeria from deli meat is not an uncommon illness. And anyone can get sick from it. Older people, sick people, pregnant people and wee liitle ones can get seriously ill.

Though I don't go so far as to heat my deli meats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ready-to-eat foods: Hot dogs, cold cuts, lunchmeats, deli counter meats, and other ready-to-eat foods. Eat these foods only if they're reheated until steaming hot. Even cured meats such as salami must be heated.

that is worlds away from the subject of this thread!!!

FDA is advocating pregnant women not eat them AT ALL unless reheated...

that is worlds away from the subject of this thread!!!

FDA is advocating pregnant women not eat them AT ALL unless reheated...

From the posted link:

How can I reduce my risk?

• Keep your fridge set at 40 degrees Fahrenheit or colder.
  • Use precooked and ready-to-eat foods as soon as you can.

Ah! So if our fridge is at 40 or below, this thread is pointless!

(I am devil's advocating here, trying to remind us all that many if not most of these
Induce Fear style threads and informational posts are dealing with Extremes and Worst Case Scenarios. Common sense and thoughtfulness should keep us all safe, even if we don't follow the recommendations exactly. devil's advocating is a bad habit of mine.)

Oh I should stop this..

As soon as you can
... one day, one week, two weeks.. if you can't eat it sooner, that's cool. LOL

Ah! So if our fridge is at 40 or below, this thread is pointless!

(I am devil's advocating here, trying to remind us all that many if not most of these
Induce Fear style threads and informational posts are dealing with Extremes and Worst Case Scenarios. Common sense and thoughtfulness should keep us all safe, even if we don't follow the recommendations exactly. devil's advocating is a bad habit of mine.)

Oh I should stop this..

... one day, one week, two weeks.. if you can't eat it sooner, that's cool. LOL

Have your fun. No sense looking up facts!

Listeria
Before the 1980's most problems associated with disease caused by Listeria were related to cattle or sheep. This changed with food related outbreaks in Nova Scotia, Massachusetts, California and Texas. As a result of its widespread distribution in the environment, its ability to survive long periods of time under adverse conditions, and its ability to grow at refrigeration temperatures, Listeria is now recognized as an important food-borne pathogen.
Immunocompromised humans such as pregnant women or the elderly are highly susceptible to virulent Listeria. Listeria monocytogenes is the most consistently pathogenic species causing listeriosis. In humans, ingestion of the bacteria may be marked by a flu-like illness or symptoms may be so mild that they go unnoticed. A carrier state can develop. Death is rare in healthy adults; however, the mortality rate may approximate 30 percent in the immunocompromised, new born or very young.
As mentioned earlier Listeria monocytogenes is a special problem since it can survive adverse conditions. It can grow in a pH range of 5.0-9.5 in good growth medium. The organism has survived the pH 5 environment of cottage cheese and ripening cheddar. It is salt tolerant surviving concentrations as high as 30.5 percent for 100 days at 39.2 degrees F, but only 5 days if held at 98.6 degrees F. The key point is that refrigeration temperatures don not stop growth of Listeria. It is capable of doubling in numbers every 1.5 days at 39.5 degrees F. Since high heat, greater than 170 degrees F, will inactivate the Listeria organisms, post-process contamination from environmental sources then becomes a critical control point for many foods. Since Listeria will grow slowly at refrigeration temperatures, product rotation becomes even more important.

People's approach to food safety, like their approach to other safety precautions (seatbelts, helmets, etc.) are a matter of personal choice.

It is, however, a fact that you can harm yourself by these choices.

It's a roll of the dice. You can eat 10 day old cold cuts and be fine. The next time you can be really sick.

Your first case of bloody diarrhea generally makes you more cautious about food safety.

And recall what GB says so often (and rightly) very many cases of what some people think are the flu or food disagreement, are in fact food poisoning.

Back
Top Bottom