Shelf life of raw pumpkin seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brobi

Assistant Cook
Hi Group!
I'm delighted to have found this forum, and I look forward to learning a lot.
My question de jour: How long is it safe to leave raw pumpkin seeds in an airtight container in the pantry? I bought them from a bulk bin, and I'm not entirely sure of the rate of turnover there, either. I didn't realize they should be stored in the fridge until about 2-3 weeks after I bought them....now I'm wondering if I should use them at all, or just buy a new supply.

They don't smell "bad," although I must admit, I'm not sure what "bad" pumpkin seeds would smell like.

Thanks very much!

brenda

If they were turning rancid or 'bad', your nose would know.

If you intend to keep them for a while longer, I'd transfer them to and airtight package of some sort and put them in the freezer. I keep all of my nut & seed products in the freezer, and they'll keep almost indefinitely. As long as they don't smell rancid, it's not to late to freeze them.

You don't have to defrost them to use them; just pop them out of the freezer and into your recipe.

Thanks

Thank you for your reply.
I'll keep my stash in the freezer from now on....but we suffer from "out of sight, out of mind" here; so I would like to keep a few smaller containers (I'll probably use glass jars) in the fridge. Hopefully the shelf life there is pretty good, but I'll keep the quantity small so I keep it "circulating."

I hope to start incorporating more seeds (I'm allergic to tree nuts) in our daily intake.

Thank you again!
brenda

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom