"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-01-2008, 12:51 AM   #31
Master Chef

Thanks, Chad and Katie, I'll certainly get a pair when I'm in the states which will be in May. I can order them ahead of time on the internet. Keep posting, Chad, and you'll have enough URLS in no time.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #32
Cook

I'm a disaster in the kitchen. I've dropped knives, grated my hands a few times, spilt stuff all over the place, etc... . Nevermind a hand-proof thing for the kitchen, get me a whole body suit and make sure nobody is around. I'll still probably break something.

Hm.. let's see what I've done in the kitchen at least a few times...

- Dropped countless knives into my feet
- Burnt my hands on water
- Shredded part of my hand on a cheese grater (was more of a dare than anything else)
- Burnt my hands when putting stuff in or taking stuff out of an oven
- Leaving a metal spatula/spoon around the element when it's red hot then being clever and grabbing it.
- Pinched by a lobster (put the stupid thing in water and it climbed out)
- Cut my hands numerous times when slicing something
- Moving around too quickly and knocking a sauce over I've made onto the floor. While I'm trying to shove the dog out of the way and clean it, something burns.

That's about it I think of right now.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #33
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
- Burnt my hands when putting stuff in or taking stuff out of an oven.
I've done that. I pulled a cast iron skillet out of the oven and while taking it to the counter the heat started really going through the towel. It took me a few seconds to get it somewhere to set down and buy the time I did I had a nice third degree burn on my palm.

I had forgotten all about that until now. Thanks

Chad
Old 03-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadHahn View Post
I've done that. I pulled a cast iron skillet out of the oven and while taking it to the counter the heat started really going through the towel. It took me a few seconds to get it somewhere to set down and buy the time I did I had a nice third degree burn on my palm.

I had forgotten all about that until now. Thanks

Chad
Haha, I've done that a few times. Also, being my clumsy self, when taking stuff in or out, my hand wasn't always covered by all of the towel so it came into contact with the nice metal grill of the oven set at around 450.

I've also gotten burnt by pizza. It was in the oven and I opened it to see if it was ready. I'm too lazy and don't have the skills to make pizza from scatch, so it was a pre-made pizza. Anyways, I wanted to see if it was done so I grabbed part of the crust and got a nice burn.

Ah, the wonders of the kitchen ...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Thanks for sharing your experience so that we don't make a similar mistake, what a shame. Hope you heal fast and the stitches don't keep you out of the kitchen too long. Maybe you will get out of doing dishes!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Chad I feel your pain because I cut my thumb on my food processor on the 8th of feb. and just now using it real good. I cut mine on the disk slicer. I think that was the first time I have ever got cut on one of those after all these yrs.So we never get to the point you can't get cut or hurt in the kitchen. My cut was on the very end and I couldn't stand to hit it on anything. I was afraid I might have nerve damage, because it still does not feel completely normal. Anyway hope your feeling better.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:21 AM   #37
Master Chef

Well, Inferno, we must have been related in another lifetime. I've done all those things, too. It's a wonder we are still intact. If you haven't already, try dropping an unopened "glass" bottle of cooking oil onto a hard kitchen floor and watch how much fun your afternoon is. Had to pull out the oven and the fridge as most of oil ran that way. Luckily I jumped out of the way and didn't get cut......
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 PM   #38
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Well, Inferno, we must have been related in another lifetime. I've done all those things, too. It's a wonder we are still intact. If you haven't already, try dropping an unopened "glass" bottle of cooking oil onto a hard kitchen floor and watch how much fun your afternoon is. Had to pull out the oven and the fridge as most of oil ran that way. Luckily I jumped out of the way and didn't get cut......
Had that happen yesterday, although it didn't go under the oven and fridge just all over the floor of sundried tomatoes soaked in infused sunflower oil. To add to the list, yesterday I tripped over my dog. For once, no food fell! Instead, some plates and bowls shattered over the ground.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:22 PM   #39
Master Chef

LOL! Inferno---we ARE related---I must see if I have any family that migrated to Canada!! I guess I jinxed you!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:14 PM   #40
Cook

I thought that it had been long enough so tonight I decided to make humus again. After I made it I took Andy M's advice and partially filled the work bowl with water and sent the blade a spinning. Everything got real clean and I didn't need anymore stitches!

Chad