Six Stitches from Food Processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChadHahn

Cook
I was cleaning the blade of my Kitchenaid Food Processor the other night and like I always do (or should I say did), I was holding the blade part by the dull sides of the s to wash the handle part.
kitchenaid-hl.jpg

Some how I switched my hold and the blade slipped. The next thing I knew I had a 3 cm long almost bone deep gash in my thumb that necessitated a trip to the emergency room, 6 stitches and lots of embarrassing questions from PCTs, Nurses, Doctors and passers by.

If only tahini wasn't so sticky or I would have just stuck the whole thing in the dishwasher, I wouldn't be in this mess.

Chad

Sorry to hear that, Chad.

Next time put some water in the FP and give it a spin to clean the blade, then put it in the DW.

I, too, learned the hard way how sharp that blade is. Fortunately, not as bad a cut as yours.

"Stuff" happens.

I'm really sorry about your thumb, Chad, but it sounds like you are lucky it's still there! I hope it heals quickly. Still, this is a timely thread for me because I just unpacked my new food processor! I've never used a food processor other than a little tiny one I bought 20+ years ago. I still have it but it has never gotten much use because it was too small. Any tips for a new user???

UGH... I'm cringing!!!! Getting cut by knifes/blades really freaks me out!

Bro I am Soooo with you on that one! and let me guess, it didn`t hurt at all until you ran under the tap!?

at least you didn`t get the Silver Nitrate stick!

THAT! is pain!

so I`m guessing you`re going to flat out stone broke when you`ve paid your dues the Swearing Box :D

hope it heals quickly. I cut my thumb 3 weeks ago on one of the slicing disc, thumb wouldn't stop bleeding for over an hour. Fortunately I didn't need stitches.

I've never used a food processor other than a little tiny one I bought 20+ years ago. I still have it but it has never gotten much use because it was too small. Any tips for a new user???

I'd never used one either until I found DW's mini one that's about as old as yours. I LOVE that thing, and beat it to death every chance I get. What's the point in dragging out the big boy if all you need is a cup of something. I swear the mini one smoked for a week after my christmas cookie frenzy. I bet I put 5 lbs of nuts, and sugar, and life savers through the mini one in december.

As for the thumb...Ouch. I jammed a knife clean through part of my finger once. ONCE. I guess it's how we learn.

Surprisingly, it doesn't hurt at all. Unless I try to use my thumb to grasp something that is.

I haven't lost nerve damage though, at least not too much. I was saying tonight, it's too bad I don't hang out in bars, I might be able to win some money sticking pins into or holding my thumb over flames. :) The thumb seems to have feeling all up and down and is able to move. I think I was pretty lucky.

Chad

Sorry that you injured your thumb Chad but glad it isn't hurting. Bet because it doesn't hurt you keep on going to use your hand normally and THEN remember that it's injured!! I do that all the time. I'm a walking accident but thankfully not to your degree!! LOL (Frantically touching wood!!!)

Ouch ChadHahn,
I hope it heals fast, you are truly lucky because we have a lot of nerve terminals in our fingers... I believe they are the most sensitive part of the body after the tongue.

In any case, when cleaning sharp objects I made the habit of using a sponge no matter what (I don't use my dishwasher), that saved my fingers several times. Andy's idea to run water on the FP before cleaning is great.

Six Stitches from Food Processor? Would have preferred getting the stitches from a doctor. (Believe me ... I tried almost everything I could not to say that! :LOL::LOL::LOL:)

Actually - I know how serious those thumb cuts can be. My Dad was using some new funky technique he saw on TV to carve the turkey at Thanksgiving one year and cut into his thumb ... he cut a tendon and had to have 3 surgeries - and never got more than about 60% range-of-motion back ... and it always hurt him when he bumped it, and he could never grip things the same way again.

I'm just glad you didn't damage yourself that much!

People don't realize that these blades are REALLY sharp - and they do not get dull like kinves because the are not being drug across a cutting board.

Well, I see that some of us have had intimate encounters with cutting utensils. I severely cut my thumb 2 years ago from a drinking glass that exploded in my hand due to a crack in it that I was too cheap to throw out. Debated it and then put it back in the cupboard---what I have paid in constant pain and nerve damage totally wasn't worth it. Then 10 days ago I cut my thumb's neighbor, Mr. Pointer, on a very sharp knife. Was scraping off chicken slime from my cutting board into the loo. The expensive knife slipped from my hands and I grabbed for it. Thinking that I had caught it be the handle I realized that there was blood spurting everywhere. Oh, yes, there are always other ways to catch a falling knife that you think might fall into the toilet and be damaged. Solution? Sacrifice another finger! Luckily I was already in the bathroom, this was old hat for me by now, grabbed a washcloth, wet it with ice cold water (what else comes out of a cold tap here) and applied pressure. An hour later left the company doctor's clinic with 3 stitches. He told me to have them removed in the UK and did so. The nurse was impressed---said that he hadn't seen this type of suture material in over 10 years. Was surprised that it even held the skin together. Well, one stitch did come loose. But overall, Mr. Pointer is doing fairly well considering. So, I do feel for you fellow aspiring "amputees".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom