"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
Reheat to boiling again for 10 minutes and enjoy.
That doesn't make it safe.

I am glad you threw it out.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
Head Chef

safe enough for me. ;) :)

Old 08-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Maybe if the lid had been off it MIGHT have been a bit safer if your kitchen was on the cooler side too. With the lid on there was no way for the heat to escape. My kitchen stays very cool and if that happened to me, lid OFF, it MAY have been ok. However, I've had food poisening (from eating out, not at home) about 7 times and I wouldn't hesitate in throwing it out!!!!!

This is for your wife ONLY - next time have him eat a bowl or two - put your feet up but don't have an adult beverage as you will have to drive

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

The main thing - use common sense here. Some people can handle questionable foods in their systems. Others cannot. Plain and simple. If you have to think about it why take the chance. Good enough for one may not be good enough for another. And politics has no business in this thread.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
Head Chef

I am curious.. what beasties that grew in the stew overnight
would not be killed by a good long boil?

Assuming there was no visible mold or other fungi colonies, of
course.

That would pretty much put the lie to "boil your water for 10 minutes
and it is safe to drink", wouldn't it?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:54 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
That doesn't make it safe.
I think it does. My uncle and his (now) wife sailed around the world in a 40-foot sailboat with no refrigeration. She often made a huge pot of soup or stew and left it on the stove for 24 hours. She would then boil it for a while (I don't remember specifically how long) and they would eat it for lunch for a week, no problem.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
Cook

I feel your pain. I had some delicious pesto chicken pasta last night which got left out in the car...now I have no lunch today!
Old 08-27-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
Maybe if the lid had been off it MIGHT have been a bit safer if your kitchen was on the cooler side too. With the lid on there was no way for the heat to escape.
Hi. The heat can escape through the sides of the pot. It will take longer than it would if the lid was off, but according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, heat will transfer from hot metal to cooler surrounding air.

From http://www.entropysite.com/students_approach.html :

<quote>
The iron atoms in a hot frying pan are vibrating very rapidly (like ‘dancing in place’ fast) and therefore the motional energy in the hot pan is localized. That motional energy will spread out — if it can. Whenever the less rapidly moving molecules in the cooler air of the room hit the hot pan, the fast-vibrating iron atoms transfer some of their energy to the air molecules. The pan’s localized energy thus becomes dispersed, spread out more widely to molecules in the room air. [System: pan. Surroundings: room air.]
<end quote>
Old 08-27-2007, 02:15 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi. The heat can escape through the sides of the pot. It will take longer than it would if the lid was off, but according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, heat will transfer from hot metal to cooler surrounding air.

From http://www.entropysite.com/students_approach.html :

<quote>
The iron atoms in a hot frying pan are vibrating very rapidly (like ‘dancing in place’ fast) and therefore the motional energy in the hot pan is localized. That motional energy will spread out — if it can. Whenever the less rapidly moving molecules in the cooler air of the room hit the hot pan, the fast-vibrating iron atoms transfer some of their energy to the air molecules. The pan’s localized energy thus becomes dispersed, spread out more widely to molecules in the room air. [System: pan. Surroundings: room air.]
<end quote>
Yep, that’s called conduction. I think what kitchenelf meant was that the heat will not evacuate as quickly thus the dish stays in the critical danger zone far longer than had the lid been off.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:19 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
Yep, that’s called conduction. I think what kitchenelf meant was that the heat will not evacuate as quickly thus the dish stays in the critical danger zone far longer than had the lid been off.
That is exactly what I meant keltin. Anything will cool off eventually.

Closed Thread