Sloppy Joes Sitting On The Stove: To Eat Or Not To Eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it does. My uncle and his (now) wife sailed around the world in a 40-foot sailboat with no refrigeration. She often made a huge pot of soup or stew and left it on the stove for 24 hours. She would then boil it for a while (I don't remember specifically how long) and they would eat it for lunch for a week, no problem.

If what you are describing is safe, there would be no need for refigeration.

Bacteria grows and multiplies at temps between 40 and 140. Most bacteria are killed by normal cooking temps, including boiling. BUT many types of bacteria produce heat resistant toxins and/or spores that also cause food poisoning. Meat dishes are especially prone to contamination by bacteria which produce heat resistant spores. Boiling does not destroy them.

Your relatives were lucky!

You can drive for 100 years without wearing a seatbelt and never have a problem. That does not mean it is safe.

hmm what if I made something in the oven that finished cooking at 10am and left it in the oven with foil on top because it was boiling HOT, can I leave it there till 8pm, there was no meat. it was spinach and ricotta cannelloni covered in sauce?

hmm what if I made something in the oven that finished cooking at 10am and left it in the oven with foil on top because it was boiling HOT, can I leave it there till 8pm, there was no meat. it was spinach and ricotta cannelloni covered in sauce?

Are you really asking? If so, the answer is still NO and for all the same reasons. Bacteria found a nice playground even in your cannelloni.

As for the rest of the comments made recently - be sensible here.

This thread has gotten way off topic. I think the original question has been answered. Those posts that went off-topic have been removed. There's no need confusing the answer with other "stuff".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom