Originally Posted by jet
I put half of a partially-thawed turkey (minus breast) into a borrowed slow cooker 3 hours ago. I thought I set the temperature at 300 deg. I just discovered that I set it at 200 deg. I have upped the temperature to 300. My original intent was to package it up, freeze it and eat it over the next couple of weeks. Will it be safe to eat, or should I throw it out?
Cooking a turkey at 200 degrees is not
safe. It's a recipe for potential food poisoning.
Cooking at such a low temperature means that the bird will be lingering in the danger zone (40-140) for hours in the cooker. This allows bacteria to swarm all over it, multiplying rapidly. Though most bacteria is killed by cooking, the bacteria can produce toxins
that may not be killed by further cooking.
The USDA says you should never cook a turkey at less than 325, which I think is high to be on the safe side. I'm sure you could cook one lower than that, but definitely not at 200.