"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 11-27-2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Slow cook turkey @ 200 deg?

I put half of a partially-thawed turkey (minus breast) into a borrowed slow cooker 3 hours ago. I thought I set the temperature at 300 deg. I just discovered that I set it at 200 deg. I have upped the temperature to 300. My original intent was to package it up, freeze it and eat it over the next couple of weeks. Will it be safe to eat, or should I throw it out?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Putting a partially thawed turkey in a crockpot generally is not safe to begin with. The turkey should be completely thawed before it goes in the pot. Cooking the bird at 200 is not a problem though. The danger zone is 40-140 degrees F. When the bird is within that range then nasties can grow at a dangerous rate. Below or above that and you are safe.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I had the 1/2 turkey thawing in the refrigerator since Saturday. I took the day off work, borrowed the slow cooker and much to my chagrin I discovered the turkey was not fully thawed. I noticed my mistake with the temperature because the poultry looked uncooked after 3 hours.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I put half of a partially-thawed turkey (minus breast) into a borrowed slow cooker 3 hours ago. I thought I set the temperature at 300 deg. I just discovered that I set it at 200 deg. I have upped the temperature to 300. My original intent was to package it up, freeze it and eat it over the next couple of weeks. Will it be safe to eat, or should I throw it out?
We're in a bind here, if we say it's ok and it isn't that is bad. If we say no it isn't ok and it is we owe you a turkey minus breast. Maybe I would rather owe you!

We did a slow cooked turkey for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking without the breast you are ok, but I would throw it out.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
We're in a bind here, if we say it's ok and it isn't that is bad. If we say no it isn't ok and it is we owe you a turkey minus breast. Maybe I would rather owe you!

We did a slow cooked turkey for Thanksgiving and I'm thinking without the breast you are ok, but I would throw it out.
I understand your reluctance and agree with your conclusion. Considering the fact that it still looked raw, I threw it out.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post

Cooking a turkey at 200 degrees is not safe. It's a recipe for potential food poisoning.

Cooking at such a low temperature means that the bird will be lingering in the danger zone (40-140) for hours in the cooker. This allows bacteria to swarm all over it, multiplying rapidly. Though most bacteria is killed by cooking, the bacteria can produce toxins that may not be killed by further cooking.

The USDA says you should never cook a turkey at less than 325, which I think is high to be on the safe side. I'm sure you could cook one lower than that, but definitely not at 200.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Thanks for correcting my stupid mistake Jenny. I wrongly was thinking that since the cooking temp was above 140 then it was safe. I will blame being very sick for a week on my not thinking clearly
Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks for correcting my stupid mistake Jenny. I wrongly was thinking that since the cooking temp was above 140 then it was safe. I will blame being very sick for a week on my not thinking clearly
You aren't stupid -- we all know that!!

I hope you didn't get sick from crockpot turkey though .....
Old 11-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Well I did get sick the day after Thanksgiving so.....
Old 11-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
jet,
I'd say give the turkey to your mother-in-law LOL

[This post has been EDITED:]

The off-topic discussion about ham has been split and moved to our Beef, Pork, Lamb Forum - under the Pork subforum: Cooking a ham at low temp?