SOS - Fizzy Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

susiefizzysoup

Assistant Cook
I have no idea what I made and it scares me. I have used left over turkey,2 cans of green beans,i can stewed tomatoes,and an onion,water,and spices. Cooked on low all night and then turned off Friday, and it was cool and weird fizzy,bubbles,almost as if it were like soda. What happened and did it ferment,were the green beans bad.... Any of this happen to anyone else....? its like a science experiment....lol:ohmy: but honestly,i am a tad scared,my husband ate some before the weirdness :yum: I read up on botulism,but does it bubble up?

Last edited:
Don't mess around with food. If it doesn't look right, if you have doubts about it, junk it, don't take risks. Better safe than sorry. Your health is much more important than leftovers. Don't take unnecessary risks.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Welcome to DC, susie. :flowers:

I would definitely toss it. It really didn't need to cook all night in the slow cooker, since the ingredients were already cooked to begin with. Depending on your slow cooker's temp at low, that's a long time to let it sit in the danger zone.

Last edited:
What does cause bubbling is BACTERIA. Particularly gas producing bacteria like Clostridium perfringens, a close cousin to Botulism and Gas Gangrene. This bacteria is a spore former and is found commonly in dried rice and dried beans. It causes many food poisonings each year through food that is contaminated with the spores, which survive the cooking process and then vegetate after siting at below 140 degrees for more than 2 hours. This is my best guess what has happened here.
Just read this in the thread,and now i am scared to death,since it splashed in my eye.......:ohmy: Im Italian so for those Italians out there, you know i will be analyzing this.......

now , I dont know if i should throw out the crock pot and utensils..... I just read botulism spores can linger,REALLY???????

GotGarlic gave a good link on how you can clean your utensils and pot. I would advise you to use that information and keep your things.

I once asked an old Korean friend about how you would know if fermented foods like kimchi was bad.

He said it gets fizzy.

I had always thought that was how we knew Kombacha was good. It was fizzy?!?

thank you gotgarlic,i soaked everything in bleach for over an hour and cleaned and boiled my utensils........ who knows what i was brewing:LOL:

read the article and i can assure you,mine was rotten,lol so rotten that it hissed at me and bubbled when i put a spoon in it......lol

It isn't botulism or your husband would be in the hospital or worse. It isn't any food borne illness most likely or you husband would be sick. In any event, you should just throw it out.

It isn't botulism or your husband would be in the hospital or worse. It isn't any food borne illness most likely or you husband would be sick. In any event, you should just throw it out.

It is possible the husband ate it before the fermentation started.

It is possible the husband ate it before the fermentation started.

Yes, but food poisoning isn't fermentation.. It is caused by a pathogenic bacteria or toxin. There are only about 21 reported food related Botulism cases per year. You can't get it from cooking in a slow cooker as is needs anaerobic conditions.

Back
Top Bottom