"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Are you people serious?

Soup that is room temperature is NOT supposed to bubble. I have never heard of cooked beans (lentils) releasing gas and bubbling.

What does cause bubbling is BACTERIA. Particularly gas producing bacteria like Clostridium perfringens, a close cousin to Botulism and Gas Gangrene. This bacteria is a spore former and is found commonly in dried rice and dried beans. It causes many food poisonings each year through food that is contaminated with the spores, which survive the cooking process and then vegetate after siting at below 140 degrees for more than 2 hours. This is my best guess what has happened here.

PLEASE DO NOT EAT THIS SOUP!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Master Chef

We were dead serious...

So, you saying the beans were bad to begin with? Cause this doesn't happen every time I make soups or stews with beans in them. Only sometimes, and on those occasions where it has happened we have eaten it with no apparent ill side effects.

Maybe just lucky....

Old 01-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
Master Chef

There is no way soup should have gone bad in 4 hours. Did you smell it, did you taste it? Are you sure the stove was off? Something doesn't add up. Unless the meat you used was bad to begin with. But even then it is a strange reaction. Before you decide to eat or not to eat (no pan intended) the soup make sure to put it back in a pot and boil it. Then when it cools down to addible temps. Taste it, smell it, don't just eat or not eat. If it is bad you will taste it, and if it is good you will tasted. Unless of course there is a salmonella or Ebola virus. But I doubt that.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Charlie, you can not always taste when it is bad. I am with Mozart on this one. It should NOT have been bubbling. It is bad. Get rid of it!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
We were dead serious...

So, you saying the beans were bad to begin with? Cause this doesn't happen every time I make soups or stews with beans in them. Only sometimes, and on those occasions where it has happened we have eaten it with no apparent ill side effects.

Maybe just lucky....
It is natural for rice and beans to have spores of clostridium on them as they grow in dirt, which is their natural home. Not all, of course, just not unusual.

It could be fermentation in this case, but then I would think that the 4 hours is off by quite a bit.

The only other option is bacteria, which I know can grow very fast in these conditions. Of course, canned beans are not an issue.

Tasting is not going to help. If it tastes bad (sour) it is fermentation...toss it.

If it tastes OK, then it is probably bacteria..toss it and then your cookies

Unless you are saying that normally beans bubble after cooking. I looked for a reference for this and have not found one, and as I said, have never seen or heard of that before.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #16
Master Chef

No, I was trying to verify that you were saying if it bubbles then it is bad and there is no other reason for it to bubble. IE if it bubbles it MUST be either fermentation (as verified by sour taste) or bacteria.
Does that make better sense?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
No, I was trying to verify that you were saying if it bubbles then it is bad and there is no other reason for it to bubble. IE if it bubbles it MUST be either fermentation (as verified by sour taste) or bacteria.
Does that make better sense?
Well that is what I believe, but if someone has a reference that says "beans bubble after cooking because they release gas and it is perfectly harmless," then I would have learned something new. Which is always good
Old 01-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Hey I am back! Still ticking.

Well, the soup was bad, something went on it, I don't know if it actually fermented, but something happened. We left it in a container in the fridge for 1 day, and then today went to eat it. We went to microwave it, and as it was going along it started to smell just awful, quite like vomit. Needless to say we tossed it all, including all the frozen stuff, and thankfully kept our cookies. My gut instinct was right on this and am glad I posted.

Now the funny thing is, as soon as I finished making the soup and we had some it was fantastic, and I took at tub of it to my parents, and theirs was still fine today, they were still eating it. They actually got more of it than us! So something happened in that time on the stove as it was cooling, when I was out delivering the hot soup, and doing a few other errands.

I think it was more than fermentation, I think it went off, rancid, or something like a bacteria bloomed in it, which would explain the smell when microwaved.

I did learn a new technique for cooling large stock pots using the frozen bottles of water method, so all was not lost, and no one got sick, just lost about $20 in raw ingredients.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:21 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Well that is what I believe, but if someone has a reference that says "beans bubble after cooking because they release gas and it is perfectly harmless," then I would have learned something new. Which is always good
I can't find any reference like that either, thought I had heard it before but don't see it anywhere so I am going with what you said, especially since the OP said it turned out to have gone bad already...

I am all for sending my stomach to boldly go where my nose sometimes won't, but I draw the line at that kind of smell coming from the micro!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:52 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

The thread may be old but it did help me understand why my new pot of turkey neck soup went bad I've made this soup many times and did not have an issue until now. It seems that using pearl barley as an ingredient is the cause of the fermentation. I wouldn't eat it and the magpies weren't interested in the soup either. Go figure