Sour Cream bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful

Master Chef
Hi, I have a little question about the last sour cream I bought. It was not the same brand I'm used to buying, instead I bought a store brand.
It's not glossy and smooth like I'm used to for sour cream. It's slightly grainy, though the taste is okay.
Is this because some brands are more grainy, or is this bad, or is it grainy for another reason? TIA ~Bliss

Is it also called "old fashioned" sour cream? They are not as glossy. As far as grainy it may be just inferior versus bad. Inferior meaning the processing was not completed properly, blending might not have been done right at the time of processing. It is probably ok though.

Last edited:
Check your Sell By/Use By Date...If it is in date, and been properly refrigerated, taste and smells ok...you are probably good to go...If you're still not comfortable with it...toss it...It's not that much money!

Sour cream, like yogurt, is already bad when you buy it. Unless there is something growing on it, it is fine.

Sour cream, like yogurt, is already bad when you buy it. Unless there is something growing on it, it is fine.

Not necessarily true Caine - even sour cream can go bad. You missed the point of the question, which, was about the grainy texture. Telling someone to eat something that is possibly bad isn't good advice.

Last edited:
There is one store near me and their store brand is

grainy also. I only bought it once. It was not spoiled, just not smooth and creamy like I am used to so I just buy other brands.

I had boughten one of my usual brands of SC and it too was grainy... when it never had been before. I chucked it. It smelled and looked OK (runnier maybe), and the taste was OK, but the grainy texture was not for me. Especially when it was a first. Something had gone wrong somewhere.

I had boughten one of my usual brands of SC and it too was grainy... when it never had been before. I chucked it. It smelled and looked OK (runnier maybe), and the taste was OK, but the grainy texture was not for me. Especially when it was a first. Something had gone wrong somewhere.

Yes, it's in the processing process. I don't think I'd like grainy sour cream either!

unless you get a good brand (Breakstones, Daisy, etc) or get a fat-free you can get grainy ones, but their fine that way, just a strange texture. only time i've hit grainy stuff with Breakstones is with their Fat-Free.

I have to go along with jpmcgrew - the most plausible answer is that somewhere during transport or storage the sour cream got frozen. The two primary reasons for not freezing sour cream are that it will get runny and/or grainy.

This would not affect safety - just quality.

Last edited:
I have to go along with jpmcgrew - the most plausible answer is that somewhere during transport or storage the sour cream got frozen. The two primary reasons for not freezing sour cream are that it will get runny and/or grainy.

This would not affect safety - just quality.
:) Thank You Micheal, this has been my experience with sour cream ,cream and even milk. I dont think any company would try to sell grainy sour cream because no one would buy it. By the way I do not appreciate grainy sour cream for any reason.

I agree that it's not really anything to worry about. I find the same thing happens with Greek yogurt-- even though I always buy the same brand. Sometimes it's perfectly smooth and wonderful, and other times (most times, actually) it's just a bit grainy.

When it comes to fermented milk products, I'm sorta with Caine. If it doesn't have something growing on it, I'll eat it, even if it's expired. My dad used to eat 3-month-expired yogurt, saying it only got creamier and tastier as it sat. So I guess that's where I got it. Not that I'd recommend such reckless behavior to everybody... :)

I checked the expiration date on it and it's just coming up now. I guess it's either the processing or it could have been frozen somewhere along the way. (In my climate, it's often below 32° F.
There is no runniness to it, just grainy. It smells good and except for the texture, it tastes good too. Thank you all for your input. I'm curious enough to buy this brand again in a few months just to see if it was a one time thing. ~Bliss

Just got some grainy Sour Cream. I think it must have been frozen, as I noticed the traces of cream on the tamper seal looked to have a freeze pattern in it, but I still googled to make sure things were safe.

I make my own sour cream/creme fraiche. It's very easy and quite good but not as sour as the grocery store variety. Here's how:

1 cup heavy cream, preferably not ultra-pasturized
1 or 2 tablespoons cultured buttermilk

Pour cream into a sterilized mason jar. Microwave for 20-30 seconds to warm it slightly. Add buttermilk, stir and cover. Let it sit out at room temperature for 24 to 36 hours, until it thickens. Stir well and refrigerate.

Back
Top Bottom