Sour cream froze on top shelf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
A brand new containor of sour cream froze on the top shelf of the refrigerator (it's on the recommended setting, but some reason some things freeze up there).

Anyways, I put it on the bottom shelve and it is now not frozen anymore.

It is any good? I took a wiff, but didn't smell anything bad.

is it runny or does it have the same creamy consistency? if it's the latter then I'd say it's usable.........it's not like it's gone bad but it is used for its creamy consistency......

It's just fine. It might "seperate" a little - just stir it back together. You can get the same "seperation" problems after 2-3 weeks ... it's perfectly fine.

Actually the tomatoes are good to use in soup. Frozen dairy products usually lose it in the texture department, but won't hurt you.

Yes, it's fine. Most home refrigerators have a cold spot on the top right, with a secondary cold spot on the bottom right.

Cold spots have their uses, so no need to always avoid them. I use them for things I don't want to freeze solid, yet want to keep colder than 40. Try to keep all produce out of the cold spots.

I, too, have learned to use my cold spots in the fridge. Center back, top shelf will actually freeze a bottle of water. When I turn it down, the rest of the fridge isn't cold enough. For most of us with older models the top shelf is the coldest because it is closest to the freezer. The adjustment is such (in mine anyway) that if I make it so that that spot doesn't freeze, then my freezer isn't cold enough. So I know where to put things in the fridge depending upon how cold I want them. I put beverages that don't freeze (i.e., anything with booze) or that I don't mind freezing along the wall so that things I really do NOT want to freeze (i.e., fresh produce and dairy) don't accidentally wind up freezing. BTW, my mother used to freeze milk all the time. Since I hated milk anyway, I sure didn't notice the difference!

To freeze or not to freeze. Sour cream separates, but can still be used.

It is good, it may have separated, but it is good. You can take a spoon or egg beater and give it a good mix again and put back in the fridge.

A brand new containor of sour cream froze on the top shelf of the refrigerator (it's on the recommended setting, but some reason some things freeze up there).

Anyways, I put it on the bottom shelve and it is now not frozen anymore.

It is any good? I took a wiff, but didn't smell anything bad.

Back
Top Bottom