"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Sour milk?

My daughter gave me almost a gal. of 2 percent milk. It is going to ruin before I can use it. I was reading on another site that you could use sour milk in pancakes. I could probably use in cornbread. It's just that I have never thought about using milk after it has expired and not able to drink it. I know I use quite a bit of buttermilk so could I use the sour milk in the place of b.milk What is the rule on this does anyone know? Thanks,

Old 04-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OK, I don't know for a fact but have you ever tasted soured milk????? I would NEVER want to use it in anything.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If you are afraid the milk will spoil before you are able to use it up, why not portion it out in manageable quantities and freeze it? Keep what you will use within a reasonable time and freeze the rest. I've done that quite successfully.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Master Chef

Please do NOT use milk that has been pasteurized (which most are at the stores) if it's gone bad.....you can sour milk by adding some lemon juice......you could really cause a milkshake and rattle and roll to the loo, otherwise
Old 04-09-2008, 02:45 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Use it up real quick ... make a cream soup, use it in your coffee, make pudding, add to pancake or waffle batter, make some mashed potatoes, and how about everyone have cereal for breakfast tomorrow?

I don't think you wanna use it once it sours ... $3 just isn't worth making yourself sick (or ruining milk for yourself FOREVER). Is there a needy family nearby who could help you use it up?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Make some custard. That will give you a few extra days use if you don't want to freeze it or the other ideas mentioned. You could then use the custard as a topping for a dessert or in a trifle or just eat it as is.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:58 AM   #7
Head Chef

There is a difference between sour and spoiled milk.

Sour milk can be made by the addition of lemon juice or by the action or certain bacteria that are not harmful (we use bacteria for all sorts of things). We normal folks generally do not have access to the good bacteria.

But, and it is a big but, if you let milk go off, spoil, it has been innoculated with a bacterium or bacteria that may not be innocuous. And ingesting that can lead to problems that are not worth the cost of a gallon of milk, or many gallons of milk.

Use it up or toss it out before it has a chance to turn.

Just my humble opinion, but don't take chances, please.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Ohhh, have no fear I am not using this milk. I just had never heard of using it for anything. I thought maybe you could use instead of b.milk. Since it is over the exp. date for several days I guess I will throw it out, I should have done like someone said and froze some of it. I hate to waste anything but sometimes it just can't be helped.
Thanks for all your replies. This is such an informative site. Faye
Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Master Chef

if it's pasteurized the process has already killed the good bacteria that Aunt Dot explained so well to make good sour milk......only in the nonpasteurized milk can you successfully let it sour but that carries it's own special health risks, too.......so just add a bit of lemon juice or use the SACO brand of dried buttermilk mix. Just add water......
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
You people are going to develop an ulcer worrying that your food is going to kill you!

From Cooks.com:

What to Do with Leftover Sour Milk and Cream

Personally, I have been using spolied milk for baking for almost 40 years now, ever since I saw my mother-in-law (first wife's mother) doing it, and she and her husband both lived to be over 80 years old.