Sour milk?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
My daughter gave me almost a gal. of 2 percent milk. It is going to ruin before I can use it. I was reading on another site that you could use sour milk in pancakes. I could probably use in cornbread. It's just that I have never thought about using milk after it has expired and not able to drink it. I know I use quite a bit of buttermilk so could I use the sour milk in the place of b.milk What is the rule on this does anyone know? Thanks,

OK, I don't know for a fact but have you ever tasted soured milk????? I would NEVER want to use it in anything. :sick:

If you are afraid the milk will spoil before you are able to use it up, why not portion it out in manageable quantities and freeze it? Keep what you will use within a reasonable time and freeze the rest. I've done that quite successfully.

Please do NOT use milk that has been pasteurized (which most are at the stores) if it's gone bad.....you can sour milk by adding some lemon juice......you could really cause a milkshake and rattle and roll to the loo, otherwise

Use it up real quick ... make a cream soup, use it in your coffee, make pudding, add to pancake or waffle batter, make some mashed potatoes, and how about everyone have cereal for breakfast tomorrow?

I don't think you wanna use it once it sours ... $3 just isn't worth making yourself sick (or ruining milk for yourself FOREVER). Is there a needy family nearby who could help you use it up?

Make some custard. That will give you a few extra days use if you don't want to freeze it or the other ideas mentioned. You could then use the custard as a topping for a dessert or in a trifle or just eat it as is.

There is a difference between sour and spoiled milk.

Sour milk can be made by the addition of lemon juice or by the action or certain bacteria that are not harmful (we use bacteria for all sorts of things). We normal folks generally do not have access to the good bacteria.

But, and it is a big but, if you let milk go off, spoil, it has been innoculated with a bacterium or bacteria that may not be innocuous. And ingesting that can lead to problems that are not worth the cost of a gallon of milk, or many gallons of milk.

Use it up or toss it out before it has a chance to turn.

Just my humble opinion, but don't take chances, please.

Ohhh, have no fear I am not using this milk. I just had never heard of using it for anything. I thought maybe you could use instead of b.milk. Since it is over the exp. date for several days I guess I will throw it out,:( I should have done like someone said and froze some of it. I hate to waste anything but sometimes it just can't be helped.
Thanks for all your replies. This is such an informative site. Faye

if it's pasteurized the process has already killed the good bacteria that Aunt Dot explained so well to make good sour milk......only in the nonpasteurized milk can you successfully let it sour but that carries it's own special health risks, too.......so just add a bit of lemon juice or use the SACO brand of dried buttermilk mix. Just add water......

You people are going to develop an ulcer worrying that your food is going to kill you!

From Cooks.com:

What to Do with Leftover Sour Milk and Cream

Personally, I have been using spolied milk for baking for almost 40 years now, ever since I saw my mother-in-law (first wife's mother) doing it, and she and her husband both lived to be over 80 years old.

You people are going to develop an ulcer worrying that your food is going to kill you!

From Cooks.com:

What to Do with Leftover Sour Milk and Cream

Personally, I have been using spolied milk for baking for almost 40 years now, ever since I saw my mother-in-law (first wife's mother) doing it, and she and her husband both lived to be over 80 years old.
Just think, they could have lived into their 90's if they would have paid more attention to good food practices :ROFLMAO:

Just think, they could have lived into their 90's if they would have paid more attention to good food practices :ROFLMAO:
Heaven forbid! The reason she made it to 80 is she was too nasty to die!

You have to figure out if it sour milk or is it simply gone bad. Pasteurized milk doesn’t become sour. It becomes bitter, bad. Sour milk is another word for buttermilk it is of the same consistency and practically the same taste. The pasteurized milk could only become sour if you really try to do so, by adding a yogurt culture for example, or by adding sour cream, for example. So before you ask the question tell us what it is that you have. Because sour milk is great for pancakes, bad milk is simply bad and is good for nothing. And people, why are you on her case? Person asked nicely, be nice. ;)

You have to figure out if it sour milk or is it simply gone bad. Pasteurized milk doesn’t become sour. It becomes bitter, bad. Sour milk is another word for buttermilk it is of the same consistency and practically the same taste. The pasteurized milk could only become sour if you really try to do so, by adding a yogurt culture for example, or by adding sour cream, for example. So before you ask the question tell us what it is that you have. Because sour milk is great for pancakes, bad milk is simply bad and is good for nothing. And people, why are you on her case? Person asked nicely, be nice. ;)
totally agree with you, Charlie........and by adding sour cream or yougurt you are adding the good bacteria that was killed off by the pasteurization in the first place............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom