"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 10-17-2005, 11:38 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
From what you have said Goody, a vacuum packed piece of meat could be done in a crockpot provided the water level in the pot was monitored. Yes?

Old 10-18-2005, 07:57 AM   #12
Master Chef

Yes, if the final temperature you wanted was about the boiling temperature of water, or if you had a "warm" setting designed to maintain a temperature of 165 degrees F. If you had that, I believe it would work quite well. Of course you food would still be well done.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

bump.

one of the more interesting old threads that i've seen the peeping toms peep tonight.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

As an afterthought, stove-top cooking could provide accurate temperatures for food as long as you used a meat thermometer. I have done such things on the stove top as pasturizing raw eggs for instance. I looked up the process and duplicatedd the temperatures and times by adjusting the flame on my gas stove, and closely monitoring the temperature. I used an electric thermometer with a probe and alarm to let me know if the desired liquid temperature raised too high. The same method would easily work with radiant cooktops or even better with induction cooktops. Ya just gotta be smarter than the pot you're cooking with to make this work. And I think the crowd who frequent this site are fairyly savvy folks.

Also, the reason for vacuum packing is that liquid is a much better conductor of heat than is air. That is, it transfers energy to and from food much more quickly. It also tends to stabilize temperatures as it is slower to heat and cool than is air. As the plastic is in complete contact with the food in the evacuated bag, the liquid can transfer its energy to the food more efficeintly that if the bag had air in it. This means that the food will come up to temperature faster, and maintain that temperature during minor fluctuations in energy applied to the cooking vessel.

As an experiment, I would think that hot water (boiling water) could be used to start the cooking process, even in sous vide, bringing the food up to temperature fast enough to prevent/inhibit microbial growth, and then, as the food approaches the desired final temperature, energy could be reduced to hold the food at the final temperature to insure that everything is done perfectly. The advantage of cooking in the desired temperature water is that there is no chance of overcooking the food. But if you are squeemish about critters growing in your slowly heating food, this is an alternate method that should aleviate that concern.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
As an experiment, I would think that hot water (boiling water) could be used to start the cooking process, even in sous vide, bringing the food up to temperature fast enough to prevent/inhibit microbial growth
That won't work if you're going to cook something sous vide. If the food is brought up to a boil or near boil, the temperature would be too hot and the proteins would coagulate too fast, which would defeat the purpose of sous vide cooking.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post
That won't work if you're going to cook something sous vide. If the food is brought up to a boil or near boil, the temperature would be too hot and the proteins would coagulate too fast, which would defeat the purpose of sous vide cooking.
Ah. Thank you.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Old 04-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Here's a thought. My oven is digitally controlled, I think it goes as low as 150 or 160 in 5 degree increments. Could I use a covered pot of water in the oven?

Those links are shot, any sites with some thorough information on this? I'd give it a shot.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

No that would not work. Your oven cycles on and off so the temp will go up and down over the cooking time. Sous vide cooking needs the temp to remain constant and steady.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Wouldn't the water temp remain constant enough?
Old 04-02-2008, 02:31 PM   #20
Executive Chef

What about an electric hotplate?